Options

Has anyone done this?

Univ3rs@lUniv3rs@l Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
The other day I walked into a quiznos and had lunch there by my self. It is right across the street from a big IT department and while I was eating, I notice that the majority of the people who ate there was from that IT department. I was thinking of finding local IT departments and trying to social network that way by chatting up with the guys who ate are that area. It would probably be easier just to go to a career fair...but my question has anyone got a job by striking up conversation with IT people like that and getting to know them on a regular basis?

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    majority of jobs are gotten though networking, not just sending blind resume's out in the air
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    I like the way you swing. The quiznos job pickup is no easy task, but let us get down to basics: did you opt for the honey mustard chicken on white? Tis a quality sandwich, and any educated IT manager would approve of such a selection. It shows that you're willing to try new things, to adapt to new flavours. Eating and IT go hand-in-hand. Properly designing and implementing a redundant network is great, but icing off a 12-inch submarine sandwich in under 3 minutes is better. IT managers know this. I wish you luck with your networking.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya thats a good idea...Talk to those guys and get them to contact you when something becomes available. Get thier email address so you can periodically shoot them a message saying "hey i'm still out here and I need an opportunity". Talking shop with strangers can go a long way. You never know who your going to meet or run in to. Never be afraid to talk shop with someone.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    IT personnel have time to eat? Sounds like amateurs.
    Just kidding. Having contacts in any field can go a long way.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It can't hurt, unless they don't like you....

"Isn't that the guy from Quiznos who wouldn't leave us alone? I don't want to work with that guy!"

So, I'd say don't go over bored, but talking to them couldn't hurt!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, remember that while they may have some input as to who gets hired. They probably aren't the ones authorized to make the final call. Talking to them wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on something coming from it, even if you hit off with them. Give it a shot though; who knows.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Also, remember that while they may have some input as to who gets hired. They probably aren't the ones authorized to make the final call. Talking to them wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on something coming from it, even if you hit off with them. Give it a shot though; who knows.

They might not make the final decisison on who gets hired, but if they know the applicant their recomondation could help a lot. It could be the one thing that sets you apart from other potential canidates. It could also hurt you if they don't like you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They might not make the final decisison on who gets hired, but if they know the applicant their recomondation could help a lot. It could be the one thing that sets you apart from other potential canidates. It could also hurt you if they don't like you.

That was the point I was trying to get across. Thanks for articulating icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I like the way you swing. The quiznos job pickup is no easy task, but let us get down to basics: did you opt for the honey mustard chicken on white? Tis a quality sandwich, and any educated IT manager would approve of such a selection. It shows that you're willing to try new things, to adapt to new flavours. Eating and IT go hand-in-hand. Properly designing and implementing a redundant network is great, but icing off a 12-inch submarine sandwich in under 3 minutes is better. IT managers know this. I wish you luck with your networking.

haha love it! I'll start praticing on the 3 minute mark. I am sure I would set some sorta record in quiznos and get my picture put up on the wall. Then from there I could walk into any quiznos and everyone will think "That is a man right there. I would hire him any second!"

Thanks! I appericate the laugh! :)
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    Ya thats a good idea...Talk to those guys and get them to contact you when something becomes available. Get thier email address so you can periodically shoot them a message saying "hey i'm still out here and I need an opportunity". Talking shop with strangers can go a long way. You never know who your going to meet or run in to. Never be afraid to talk shop with someone.

Thanks for the insight. I think it is tough coming up with an ice breaker though. I sat there and and I was interested on what they were saying. I wished I spoke up to ask them to explain it a bit more. I think just using that idea would of opened the group up well because from my experience whenever I asked someone to talk about something that they understand well, they would talk about it for hours.
  • Options
    empc4000xl wrote:
    majority of jobs are gotten though networking, not just sending blind resume's out in the air

Really....so far I have been just sending out resumes left and right. I know a few people who I work with but nobody really to help me further my career. I was told to look into computer related fairs and job fairs to make contacts but I looked in my area.I found in boston that there wasn't much going on... :/