How difficult is CCENT

EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been reading into Cisco for quite some time and I wanted to ask my fellow TECHEXAMS members how the would they rate the difficulty of the CCENT. I've been pondering on whether to take the 70-270 or go straight towards the CCENT then afterwards the CCNA. I provide desktop support for users in a XP environment but I have more of a passion for networking.

Comments

• nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    An exam is always difficult for people who don't learn and easy for those who learn.

It all depends on you
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats absolutely true, but we also know if an exam is easier than others. So on a scale of 1-10 what do you think? Im thinking its maybe a 6-7.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought it was a "0.5" on a scale of 1 to 10, what does that prove? It's all relative to you level of knowledge. The exams are always very detailed, expecting you to know how to weed out the important information and pick the correct answer. You need to know the output of various show commands and be able to answer a question based on that , if you don't know your show commands well, you will find it to be a difficult exam.
    R1# show ip protocols

Routing Protocol is "rip"
      Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is not set
      Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is not set
      Sending updates every 30 seconds, next due in 15 seconds
      Invalid after 180 seconds, hold down 180, flushed after 240
      Redistributing: rip
      Default version control: send version 2, receive version 2
        Interface             Send  Recv  Triggered RIP  Key-chain
        FastEthernet0/0       2     2     
        FastEthernet0/1       2     2                                
      Automatic network summarization is not in effect
      Maximum path: 4
      Routing for Networks:
      Passive Interface(s):
        Serial1/0
        Serial1/1
      Routing Information Sources:
        Gateway         Distance      Last Update
        4.4.146.6            120      00:00:12
        Gateway         Distance      Last Update
        4.4.146.4            120      00:00:26
      Distance: (default is 120)

R1#

Interface FastEthernet 0/1 has an ip address of 5.5.1.1/24. R5 is connected to R6 which is a neighbor of R1. R6 has the ip address of 4.4.146.6. R5 shows an entry of 5.0.0.0/8 in it's routing table. What could be the cause?

A. R1 is configured with "network 5.0.0.0"
    B. R1 is running rip and does not support classless routing
    C. R6 is using the defaut configuration for RIPv2
    D. R6 is not configured for RIP
    E. R5 is configured not to accept routes from R6
    F. Interface Serial 1/0 is confiuged as passive

(I just made that one up but it is the "way" questions are worded.)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I wouldn't give it that much difficulty credit. The CCENT is an entry level, entry level cert. Meaning CCNA is considered entry level, then you break that down to the easy half of the exam ICNDv1 or CCENT.

Entry level doesn't always mean it is going to be a cakewalk though. Just becuase the CCNA is entry level, doesn't mean it's an easy test. The ICNDv1 is easier than ICNDv2 though.

Don't worry about what everyone else says is hard or easy. Just study right and work hard at it and you will pass. Before I started NA, everyone told me about how it was this super hard test. So I worked hard at it, studied alot, and the test was actually mild.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took it last week and failed by 12 points, it is not that easy you have to know: subnetting, NAT, DHCP, RIP version 2, static and default routing, wireless, and DOD, OSI,TCP/IP, switch port security, switching,configure a basic WAN connection, cableing, etc.. Passing score is 804, 90 minutes 55 -65 questions including sims and simlets. I took Network + 604-822 is much harder.

They save all the other stuff for 604-816, CIDR, VLSM, OSPF, EGIRP, access lists, RSTP, VTP, Frame Relay, IPv6 Etc...
  • Take a practice test and then you tell us?
  • jimboz28jimboz28 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CCENT a little over a week ago and found that it wasn't too difficult if you're well prepared. I used the Cisco Press books to study and was overprepared for the test.
    You do have to have a pretty broad range of knowledge but don't have to go to deep on most of it. I would recommend knowing subnetting and understanding how switches forward/filter frames inside and out. Make sure you are prepared for working under pressure as the time limit will add some extra frustration to those subnetting questions.
    I took the CCNA a few months ago and failed by a 100 points but didn't prepare very well for it. I was using the Cybex book and relying on my own hands on experience to get me by. There was much more on the test that I didn't prepare for. In the end, I ran out of time to even read the last few questions.
    I'm not saying the Cybex books are bad but I do think the Cisco press stuff has everything you need to pass.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EJizzel wrote:
    I've been reading into Cisco for quite some time and I wanted to ask my fellow TECHEXAMS members how the would they rate the difficulty of the CCENT. I've been pondering on whether to take the 70-270 or go straight towards the CCENT then afterwards the CCNA. I provide desktop support for users in a XP environment but I have more of a passion for networking.

I just wanted to add that taking 270 first won't help you with the CCENT. If you do 291, you'll see some overlap in things like subnetting, and that might help you get started with your Cisco certs. If you're already working on it, you might as well see it through. The only thing that makes the exam easier is practice and studying.
  • sefco9sefco9 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everybody in this forum has a valid opinion but I would like to reach out and say take your chances what’s the worst that can happen? You have to make something from nothing sometimes and if you put your heart into it and dedicate to passing the exam because there is only one this in this world which is difficult and that is the human attitude YOU CAN DO IT!!!!.

Alex out…………….
    Best Regards
    Alex
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just said F#&! it went to Barnes and Noble this afternoon for lunch and got the Cisco CCENT/CCNA book bu Wendell Odom. I think im making the best choice, I was reading the 70-270 book by sybex and though it had some interested things I was bored out of my mind. WISH ME LUCK!!! Off to the CCENT then CCNA.
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    EJizzel wrote:
    I just said F#&! it went to Barnes and Noble this afternoon for lunch and got the Cisco CCENT/CCNA book bu Wendell Odom. I think im making the best choice, I was reading the 70-270 book by sybex and though it had some interested things I was bored out of my mind. WISH ME LUCK!!! Off to the CCENT then CCNA.

Thats the SPIRIT!
    I have the same books and would like to get some Dynamips going but the *(^*%(&^ Ios for them... I would love to get some to support the 2600 and 3600 routers.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • wxbosswxboss Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm with both of you! :)

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago (bought the Cisco Press books by Odom), and I've been lovin' it icon_wink.gif .

Being as though I don't have any formal experience, this has been an area I've been interested in ever since I hooked up my Apple //c to a 300/1200 baud modem and surfed the local BBSs :D .

If you have a desire or passion for something, go for it! Nothing was ever accomplished by mere speculation...it took fortitude and perseverence.

'We' are the only ones that stand in the way of our own success.