Want 512mb of ram, but can't decide...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Should I pay the extra $125 and let Dell install it, or go to pricewatch where I can get a 256mb stick for $40 or so.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $#!& .... go to pricewatch.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I know. It's crazy. Add $75 for a 128 meg stick, add $125 for a 256 meg stick, and add.....$250 for one 512 meg stick. The only thing is, the type on pricewatch is either "Generic" "House Brand" or Micron. That's all I've managed to find anyway. Think I'll run into trouble with any of them?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    This might help LOS....

http://maximumpc.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=43/ut=92735ec42abd51fc

That's where I found some real cheap prices on all sorts of good stuff...except for rambus..(sniff icon_sad.gif )
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    It's between Dell, Toshiba, and ibuypower.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the components at ibuypower.com, such as 512mb of ram and the 64 meg video card, although I don't really need that. The cheapest laptop from them has a 64mb integrated card though...(yuck) The only downside I see to them is that I don't think they offer any sort of payment plan and I can't shell out $1400.

I've heard good things about Toshiba, but I have mixed feelings. I've had extensive contact with two and one of them was a complete piece of trash.

Dell seems to be the winner. I've heard good things about the 600m, which would be my choice, and my stepdad just bought an 8600 from Dell that runs smooth. It's easy to use, nice looking, and has caused absolutely no problems. Dell also offers a payment plan.

I suppose that I'm still leaning towards Dell...anyone have any information that may be helpful? Thanks a lot and sorry about all the laptop questions. I just want to take my time and make sure I'm getting a good notebook.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Lostinspace: go for Dell. I think Dell is and has been the winner for a while. It's not only about their payment plans, but their products are resilient and affordable. Toshiba is very nice, but you gotta shell out some big bucks. Moreover, I'm starting to feel that Toshiba kinda puts 2 much time trying to get their design wrong. icon_wink.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Kevin57Kevin57 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • cwrcwr Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yupper real pro advice in here. Only a fool would ram from Dell and such..