Options

study for CISSP without meeting the requirements?

vitalvital Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is it possible to take the CISSP without the 5 yrs of experience? I'm thinking of studying for and taking the exam before I have the related experience if isc2 allows. I currently have about 3 yrs of experience and need 2 more.. I just thought it'd be nice to put on my resume that I did pass the CISSP but just need more experience to get certified.. I think that's how a lot of CPA's sell themselves during an interview when they need hours to be certified. Anyone think that is a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Yes, you can take the CISSP exam at any time. There are several discussions in this forum on that very subject.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    You could become an Associate of (ISC)² by passing either the SSCP or CISSP exam when you do not meet the work experience requirements. You must register specifically with the intent to take the exam to become an Associate of (ISC)². This is what I did since I did not meet the experience requirement. Once the experience requirements have been fulfilled you must notify (ISC)² so that they can obtain information regarding your work experience and provide you with the endorsement forms. If you are audited it would occur at this point as well. After that process is complete you could recieve your certification without having to re-take the exam unless your Assocate of (ISC)² status expires (6 year expiration for CISSP exam and 2 year expiration for SSCP exam).

More information can be found on (ISC)²'s website at the following links:

https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1334
    https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=527
    https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1330

In answer to your question, (ISC)² is VERY clear about the fact that you cannot use the CISSP title or logo on your resume until you hold the certification. Passing the exam alone is not enough and you could only refer to yourself as being an Associate of (ISC)². They made this very clear to me during registration, in their e-mail to me prior to taking the exam, and in their e-mail to me after I passed the exam.
  • Options
    vitalvital Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you can't have the word CISSP at all on your resume? What if it's something to let the employers know that you've passed the exam but need work experience..

e.g... -Passed CISSP Exam (Need 2 additional years experience to be certified)
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    vital wrote:
    So you can't have the word CISSP at all on your resume? What if it's something to let the employers know that you've passed the exam but need work experience..

e.g... -Passed CISSP Exam (Need 2 additional years experience to be certified)

Understand the exam is just that, an exam. The CISSP certification is a combination of successful passing of the exam and the relevant 5 years experience. So you wouldn't mention it because you don't have it yet. A nice thing you could do is put something on your resume that says you're an ISC2 Associate. If you word it right, it will lead to questions about what exactly that is, which allows you to then tastefully inform them that you passed the CISSP examination but you don't meet the experience requirements yet.

Good luck.