Question about how to update your resume you are promoted.

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I am sure this is a common one, but right now I am working at a company as a desktop support analyst, I have only been there for six mouths but there is a good chance I am going to be getting a promotion and becoming the “Senior” desktop support analyst/team lead. I will have one full timer and two interns working with me. I can’t believe I could be getting a promotion like this and I am only 22. Anyway on resumes I have seen this done two ways, they are as follows…

Just put it all under one description with whatever the highest title you were at when you left the company.

Make a separate heading, like you were adding a new job and list the date when you were promoted, you’re new responsibilities, ect.

Which one do you guys think looks better?

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your responsibilities changed significantly I would put it under a separate heading under that employer, personally. I have used the "highest title achieved only" method and have had to answer questions about that in the past.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Well...a resume is just one page. Space is limited. I like to just put the highest level reached for each employer...and if they have any questions about it, thats what an interview is for.

You go putting every title and its associated responsibilities down, you're going to have to edit other material, like qualifications, abilities...something. I like to have at least 3 lines at the bottom to list references, even though you don't really have to, to let them know you can contact previous employers.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think both are good answers. You're relatively young, so you probably have a limited employment history. I'd add the new position as a separate entity if you have room. Keeping your resume at one page is a good practice, and I wouldn't sacrifice other information just to list multiple positions as one company, as brad- mentioned.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just add on top of the your old position and all the new job responsiblty that come with. For example:

Company ABC, Boston, MA
    Desktop Support Supervisor 12/07 - current
    ... .
    .. ...

Desktop Support Techician 6/05 - 11/07
    .. .
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    In similar situation I closed current CV entry (stating month/year) with explanation that new job description has changed cardinally and needed a separate space.

Company stays the same, only job title and description changes. And the year also, since its the new dawn of a different era :)