How much of a raise to expect going to a sr. desktop support

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
Right now I have been working at my company as a desktop support analyst for 6 mouths, I have a total of 2 years work experience in IT. I am pretty much supporting a company of over 250 people alone, there are three other people in my team but they are all too busy with projects and other stuff going on to help out. But I have been doing such a good job that there is a chance I may get promoted to senior/team lead for the desktop support team, which as of Jan will include a new full timer and two interns. I will also being taking on the challenge of building out a structured helpdesk based on the itil framework. Reporting up to sr. management about the status of tickets and what is going on with my team, basically quite a bit more responsibility than I have now.

Right now I am making 40k, which in my opinion sucks, I want to move out of my parents house soon but I am not comfortable doing so making so little, I live in Boston, so cost of living is not cheap. I should also mention that I am only 22, but we interviewed someone in their 30’s for the desktop support position (he had been doing it for 7 years) and my experience level was way above his as far as AD (he could not tell me what an OU was), Blackberry, Server knowledge, I have the experience that I think could get me a 50k job, but I think my young age is what may be holding me back. My boss knows I do an outstanding job balancing my stressful roll and he always gets messages from users saying how great my customer support is and how fast I respond to requests. One user even told me that he told her he wishes that he could find another me. Realistically what could I expect from this promotion? 2k, 5k 10k? if it’s only 2k I really don’t think the added stress will be worth it, but then again having senior or team lead on your resume at 22 looks pretty damn good I think. I just am not sure what to do, I like the company I work at, and I have learned a ton there so far, but at the same time I feel like I could be making more somewhere else. But I just don't know if I am up to the job hunt again.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Matt_Smi wrote:
    ...but then again having senior or team lead on your resume at 22 looks pretty damn good I think.

That was exactly what I thought when I read the first part of that sentence. Even if you don't get as much money as you want, you will still make out like a bandit in experience. If I were you, I'd stay another 18 months, get a good solid 2 years at one company. Maybe pick up some other certs or education, then look for a job that will propel you past that $50k mark.

I'm in the same position. I make less than you (which actually looks comparable due to lower cost of living), but I'm getting great experience. I've implemented and supported everything on our network. They didn't even have a domain when I started working there. I don't want to look for a job too early and end up in another position I don't want to be at in a year. I'm going to get a little more experience as well as a few more certs before I move on.

If you want a better salary to cost-of-living ratio, why don't you come out to the Minneapolis-St. Paul area: Cost of living comparison

It hasn't even been below zero all week!
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    50K for a desktop support person is kind of insane. Thats net admin money. I know you live in Boston and the cost of living is higher but I wouldn't expect that type of pay yet. Work your way into some type of network position before expecting that type of money. I am not saying don't try and get it, definitely do that, but don't expect anyone to bite on that.
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Yea but its snowed like a bandit, so if I had to choose driving in crap or being chilly... Well its an easy choice when driving an hour each way :)

Gotta love MN
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    50K for a desktop support person is kind of insane. Thats net admin money.

That really really depends on the company and the actual responsibilities. Normally I would agree but this new position sounds more than just typical deskside support only. I would expect to have a raise, maybe not up to 50K (which would be 25%) but leading 3 people and building a helpdesk to itil is an undertaking that doesn't fall under the norm of "desktop guy". JMHO

Personally (as an experienced sysadmin) I think quality, experienced, and responsible client/deskside admins are worth their weight in gold. Having worked with really bad ones has made me realize this.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    50K for a desktop support person is kind of insane. Thats net admin money. I know you live in Boston and the cost of living is higher but I wouldn't expect that type of pay yet. Work your way into some type of network position before expecting that type of money. I am not saying don't try and get it, definitely do that, but don't expect anyone to bite on that.

I see what you are saying, to jump to 50k would be a 25% raise which is pretty much out of the question. 45k (10%) would be more realistic, or they may only do 5% which would be 42k. It is just frustrating when I am only making 5k more a year than the receptionist and I have much more responsibility and work much harder. But again I am only 22 and the experience I am getting is invaluable, by the time I am 30 I think I will be doing pretty good for myself.

EDIT: I should also mention since we are a small company I have to do more outside of the scope of a "normal" desktop support role. So I get my hands on a lot of things and have more responsibility
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I understand what you are saying. Good luck in your quest for the 50K. If your job warrants it then I hope you get it. From what it sounds, you are going to have a lot of responsibility so hopefully that gives you and edge in negotiating your raise.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Hang tight man.

GET THE EXP. It will pay of in the long run. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!

I been doing this for a while. Experience trumps pretty much everything.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Money is an important matter, but experience is everything for long term.

Sometime you need to look for what is the best for your career.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    liven wrote:
    Experience trumps pretty much everything.

Signed.
    Man now I am more confused than ever on what to do, a few people I work with are telling me not to take the position, that it will not be worth the extra stress and responsibly. I tell them it will be worth it due to the career advancement, and they are saying that it may lock me into a helpdesk manager role in the future, which is not where I want to go. I want to go towards and network/systems admin and keep a hands on role with technology icon_confused.gif
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Who are these people that are telling you this?

Are they network/sys admins? Are they jealous co-workers that didn't get considered for the job? Do they even have jobs?

I would NOT listen to them.

Second, anytime you have a job on your resume that shows your moving up, working hard, accomplished, etc... IT LOOKS GOOD!!!!

I had a buddy you used to work support with me. He was dead set on the fact that staying in support for to long would make it impossible to get out of support. Of course he had little drive out side of the office to learn and do new things. He always thought that if you were not in the top 1% of any field you wouldn't make any money, move up, etc. Well now he works as a some sort of book keeper type person for a super market. I am now a security administrator for the DOD.

Sure I put in many years at the help desk. I LEARNED A LOT from doing this. Biggest thing I learned was how to trouble shoot just about any kind of problem. And I was always trying to learn new things.

One day the head network engineer saw me working out of a PHP book on a linux box that I used as a work station. He asked if I wanted to re-write some of the web tools the NOC used. Naturally I said YES. Shortly there after I took a differen't support job, more $$$. Not even 3 months into the new job, my old boss called me. He offered me a job as a developer (developing an open source VOIP solution and custom NMS stuff). That call was the call the changed everything for me. From there I did all kinds of other development (everything from monitoring systems to point of sale systems) system administration, and networking. Which ultimately led me to my security job.

Another thing to consider, is management will usually make the most money. So at the very least have that kind of experience under your belt can ultimately open doors that few other jobs will.

SO, if your happy where your at, or if you think you have other opportunities then do make a change. If you want a new challenge, more things that look good on your resume then take the new job.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
    liven wrote:
    Who are these people that are telling you this?

Are they network/sys admins? Are they jealous co-workers that didn't get considered for the job? Do they even have jobs?

I would NOT listen to them.

Second, anytime you have a job on your resume that shows your moving up, working hard, accomplished, etc... IT LOOKS GOOD!!!!

I had a buddy you used to work support with me. He was dead set on the fact that staying in support for to long would make it impossible to get out of support. Of course he had little drive out side of the office to learn and do new things. He always thought that if you were not in the top 1% of any field you wouldn't make any money, move up, etc. Well now he works as a some sort of book keeper type person for a super market. I am now a security administrator for the DOD.

Sure I put in many years at the help desk. I LEARNED A LOT from doing this. Biggest thing I learned was how to trouble shoot just about any kind of problem. And I was always trying to learn new things.

One day the head network engineer saw me working out of a PHP book on a linux box that I used as a work station. He asked if I wanted to re-write some of the web tools the NOC used. Naturally I said YES. Shortly there after I took a differen't support job, more $$$. Not even 3 months into the new job, my old boss called me. He offered me a job as a developer (developing an open source VOIP solution and custom NMS stuff). That call was the call the changed everything for me. From there I did all kinds of other development (everything from monitoring systems to point of sale systems) system administration, and networking. Which ultimately led me to my security job.

Another thing to consider, is management will usually make the most money. So at the very least have that kind of experience under your belt can ultimately open doors that few other jobs will.

SO, if your happy where your at, or if you think you have other opportunities then do make a change. If you want a new challenge, more things that look good on your resume then take the new job.

They are Senior Admins, I want to be a team lead for the desktop support team, but building out a helpdesk does not really interest me, I would do it for the experience, but I want to become an admin one day myself. I think my boss wants someone who can grow into a helpdesk manager role, but that is not want I want because it is more hands off and politics than it is tech work. So I don't want to line myself up to be stuck in that role. I expressed this stuff to my boss, ideally I should be the tech lead and we should have a helpdesk manager as well, but that req does not exist anymore, so my boss needs to find someone who can do both and that is just not the path I want to take. So I am really re-considering here and not sure what to do, or if my boss even wants me for the role anymore after out discussion.
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    I admit I didn't really read all the posts but I was making over 60K in my last desktop Job. I don't think 50K is too much to ask for depending on experience. I would say though to be prepared that they will tell you that you will need to stay at your current salary, Corporate America will always try to do you dirty
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Matt_Smi wrote:
    Right now I have been working at my company as a desktop support analyst for 6 mouths, I have a total of 2 years work experience in IT. I am pretty much supporting a company of over 250 people alone, there are three other people in my team but they are all too busy with projects and other stuff going on to help out. But I have been doing such a good job that there is a chance I may get promoted to senior/team lead for the desktop support team, which as of Jan will include a new full timer and two interns. I will also being taking on the challenge of building out a structured helpdesk based on the itil framework. Reporting up to sr. management about the status of tickets and what is going on with my team, basically quite a bit more responsibility than I have now.

Right now I am making 40k, which in my opinion sucks, I want to move out of my parents house soon but I am not comfortable doing so making so little, I live in Boston, so cost of living is not cheap. I should also mention that I am only 22, but we interviewed someone in their 30’s for the desktop support position (he had been doing it for 7 years) and my experience level was way above his as far as AD (he could not tell me what an OU was), Blackberry, Server knowledge, I have the experience that I think could get me a 50k job, but I think my young age is what may be holding me back. My boss knows I do an outstanding job balancing my stressful roll and he always gets messages from users saying how great my customer support is and how fast I respond to requests. One user even told me that he told her he wishes that he could find another me. Realistically what could I expect from this promotion? 2k, 5k 10k? if it’s only 2k I really don’t think the added stress will be worth it, but then again having senior or team lead on your resume at 22 looks pretty damn good I think. I just am not sure what to do, I like the company I work at, and I have learned a ton there so far, but at the same time I feel like I could be making more somewhere else. But I just don't know if I am up to the job hunt again.

I would guess a promotion of 4-6k depending on your company or even a bump up to what the position calls for pay. I don't think 50k is asking to much but don't be upset if you don't receive it. This promotion will be the job that gets you the next job on the next level and into managing a whole department. Def stick around.