Web page/screen size question

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Is there a setting which will leave your page the same across multiple resoultions? I'm sure there is, as all pages don't change when viewed on different pc's. My problem is that I'm doing a webpage on my laptop (Finally got one :D ) and it will be viewed mainly on machines with a resolution of 800x600. What can I do to get rid of the blank spaces at the side of the screen when it's viewed at 1024x768? Thanks

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup - don't use a HTML editor that sets the context at each line IE Frontpage. If you use something else (even notepad) you can have a page that autosizes to to resolution. Remember though, that pictures & graphics will get moved around that way.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'm using Dreamweaver. What's the tag that sets the page to autosize, or what tag do I need to remove to get it to autosize?
    Thanks for the help, but I figured it out. You just use the autostretch option on one column and leave the rest a fixed width.
    Ugh...still need this question answered. I reduced the image sizes and scaled it down. Then set the page to autostretch. It's readable at 800x600, but not optimal. Is there a way to get EVERYTHING to autoscale?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ugh...still need this question answered. I reduced the image sizes and scaled it down. Then set the page to autostretch. It's readable at 800x600, but not optimal. Is there a way to get EVERYTHING to autoscale?
    Autostretch.. is that some kind of Frontpage feature?
    Remember the post with the examples I gave, creating a table etc.. the answers are in that post. You will need to create an outer table that will hold everything, that table should have a width of 100%.
    Autostretch is a Dreamweaver feature. It will make one column in a table automatically stretch to fit. Say you have a menu you want left alone. You set it to a set width, then set the right hand side to stretch with the screen size.

The outer table is at 100%. Believe or not, I'm not that dumb. icon_wink.gif
    I understand that at 100%, it should fit everything inside the main table, inside the window, but it doesn't.
    Maybe that's just the way it is. I didn't pay attention before, but your site does the same thing. Forces me to scroll over at 800x600.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Autostretch is a Dreamweaver feature. It will make one column in a table automatically stretch to fit. Say you have a menu you want left alone. You set it to a set width, then set the right hand side to stretch with the screen size.
    I see, the autostretch option just sets the width to 100% (I never used the layout view for tables in dreamweaver.)
    The outer table is at 100%. Believe or not, I'm not that dumb. icon_wink.gif
    I understand that at 100%, it should fit everything inside the main table, inside the window, but it doesn't.
    I wasn't implying any of that, just remembered your other post regarding the use of tables:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16187
    The examples there show how it 'can' work.

In most cases you won't need to set a width for an inner table or column to stretch. Without a set width it will stretch as needed, if it has contents (text). When you do use a % to define the width (also when using autostretch option) make sure that there is a defined space the table or column can stretch in. When the outer table is set to 100% means 100% of the screen resolution only when the actual contents fits. If the outer table contains a column with a fixed width of let's say 150 px and a column with autostretch/100% the outer table 100% refers to 100% +150px. I hope I'm still making sense here...
    Maybe that's just the way it is. I didn't pay attention before, but your site does the same thing. Forces me to scroll over at 800x600.
    Not quite, only on the forum pages, because the inner tables and columns that make up the forum are a little too wide. Try the homepage for example and you'll see that it works. The post I linked to above shows exactly how it is done.

I hope this helps!
    I'm going to have to rebuild from scratch to get this to work. I'm spending more time looking for a fix.

I use one large table for my material and one on the left for my menu.
    Otherwise I use columns and rows, with the occasional small table inside for text or graphics.

If I set the outer table to 100%, what do I need to set the other table to *theoretically* get it to autosize to the screen?

This is a huge pain. Everything on an 800x600 resolution looks enormous. If I try to make it small enough, it makes it unreadable at 1024x768.
    Got it to display properly, but I'm having another problem. My left hand table is too large, but when I try to change the size, it won't move.

The properties show it as being the size I set it, but the actual size displayed doesn't change.
    New question, same post.

Is there a way to lock a table in place on a page so it's not moved when resizing others?
    I won't resize my own tables, but I may not be the one maintaining the page ( icon_cry.gif ) and I'm going for simplicity so I don't get called every time it's updated.

I'll be more specific about what I want. I have a small table at the bottom that just contains when the page was last updated. I don't want it to move when the content above it moves, but I want it aligned with the bottom of the menu bar I have on the left. Is there a way to lock tables in place?
    How can I search a folder in the same directory as my web page, for files, then display the results?