Options

Question for janmike.

kjmccoykjmccoy Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I see youve recently obtained your server+, congratz.
quick question, how was it, do you believe that it is a valuable cert? I'm in a bind deciding where to go after Network+ and wanted your opinion on if this is a worth while cert.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Glad to answer.

I consider Server+ to be very worthwhile considering my present job, although I didn't have the job, or any job, before I got the cert.

To explain, I presently work in a communications center for a large hospital. My work station is in a room adjacent to the server room--4 rows of big racks with lots of servers. With server+ I went into this job at least knowing about storage-NAS & SAN, SCSI, RAID, redundancy, reliability, advanced hardware(some call Server+ "advanced A+), UPSs(ours are BIG), physical security, network security, environmental factors, fire protection systems, and more.

Recently got a taste of the environmental safety when I walked into the server room and found that our 68-degree environment was up to 78-degrees and climbing! We immediately contacted engineering and found that they had shut down a large breaker panel for 20 minutes and had not notified us of a scheduled down-time for our AC. When they fired up the AC again, we had something smelly and smokey looking coming out of AC vents! We did call a code red(fire) but we didn't activate the fire suppresant system. Turned out it wasn't smoke but steam caused by condensation in the AC system somewhere.

Environment is just one example. We have to reboot servers all the time--hard to believe! I'm getting the great education my mom always wanted me to get--the hard way! However, if it wasn't for my studies for Server+, I can talk to my trainers, Administrators, and IT engineers intelligently about these matters.

Also, the combined A+ and Network+ put me on the troubleshooter roster. I can check out network connections, go out on the floor to troubleshoot work stations and printers.

My study methods included my own little home network and a short education in M$ peer-to-peer and domain based networks. Also, Server+ study of different NOSs fit right into my work--we have W2k, Novell, NT4, Windows 3.11, W95, UNIX, and OpenVMS(which I'm just now trying to learn something about).

Trying now to get started on MCSA track. We use W2k Active Directory--it's great. Now, if I could just figure out how they planned all that hierarchy.

Server+ is not a popular cert. Personally, I don't understand why. It doesn't make you an MCSA, but because it's rather generic in its approach
    I don't think you can go wrong with it. From there you can really understand the importance of every piece of equipment around you.

Also, my experience was the same as most others who take the exam--It was very difficult. You do have to prepare. On the other hand I'd say that someone who has spent a lot of time in a server room will have a big head start over someone with a small amount of such experience.

Well, I've ramble on long enough. Hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Not at all on the rambling, I appreciate the lengthy response. I was leaning towards it because I enjoy the troubleshooting aspect of this field and I felt server+ was the next logical next step, but this forum, as great as it is and not to demean it in anyway, can get confusing with all the different points of view to sift through. I'm just starting to try and bust into this field which is tough to say the least. I'm one the "old" electronics tech's from a time when troubleshooting and repair of consumer electronics was cost effective. I have a good connection with the president of an IT company in my area to get in, but the market is so tight it's taking awile for it to happen. Again I appreciate the detailed response, youve sold me. :)
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    janmike wrote:
    Glad to answer.

I consider Server+ to be very worthwhile considering my present job, although I didn't have the job, or any job, before I got the cert.

To explain, I presently work in a communications center for a large hospital. My work station is in a room adjacent to the server room--4 rows of big racks with lots of servers. With server+ I went into this job at least knowing about storage-NAS & SAN, SCSI, RAID, redundancy, reliability, advanced hardware(some call Server+ "advanced A+), UPSs(ours are BIG), physical security, network security, environmental factors, fire protection systems, and more.

Recently got a taste of the environmental safety when I walked into the server room and found that our 68-degree environment was up to 78-degrees and climbing! We immediately contacted engineering and found that they had shut down a large breaker panel for 20 minutes and had not notified us of a scheduled down-time for our AC. When they fired up the AC again, we had something smelly and smokey looking coming out of AC vents! We did call a code red(fire) but we didn't activate the fire suppresant system. Turned out it wasn't smoke but steam caused by condensation in the AC system somewhere.

Environment is just one example. We have to reboot servers all the time--hard to believe! I'm getting the great education my mom always wanted me to get--the hard way! However, if it wasn't for my studies for Server+, I can talk to my trainers, Administrators, and IT engineers intelligently about these matters.

Also, the combined A+ and Network+ put me on the troubleshooter roster. I can check out network connections, go out on the floor to troubleshoot work stations and printers.

My study methods included my own little home network and a short education in M$ peer-to-peer and domain based networks. Also, Server+ study of different NOSs fit right into my work--we have W2k, Novell, NT4, Windows 3.11, W95, UNIX, and OpenVMS(which I'm just now trying to learn something about).

Trying now to get started on MCSA track. We use W2k Active Directory--it's great. Now, if I could just figure out how they planned all that hierarchy.

Server+ is not a popular cert. Personally, I don't understand why. It doesn't make you an MCSA, but because it's rather generic in its approach
    I don't think you can go wrong with it. From there you can really understand the importance of every piece of equipment around you.

Also, my experience was the same as most others who take the exam--It was very difficult. You do have to prepare. On the other hand I'd say that someone who has spent a lot of time in a server room will have a big head start over someone with a small amount of such experience.

Well, I've ramble on long enough. Hope this helps.

This is your first job in I.T? Did you get all those certs first?
  • Options
    This is your first job in I.T? Did you get all those certs first?

Basically. My experience with PCs goes on since about 1996. I had to learn to use one while in a field office/lab on a highway construction project. From then and after I always had one in my office. However, I had to use the old ones from other field offices, so I had to canabalize one or two to make a good one. But, this experience was not part of my work description, because nobody really had any idea of what I was doing, so I don't have a solid reference for that work. Otherwise, it was fix a friend's computer, etc.

I had a 2-month job on work station deployment for 2 months before this job after getting A+ and Network+.

So, this is basically my first real IT job. I had passed Server+ just a few days before I got called for my first interview for my present job.

Study and passing exams took place over about a 14-month span.
  • Options
    As a result of our conversation I have ordered the Server+ Certification Bible, as far as practice exams go do you have any experience with Prep Logic? they are half the price of Transcender. Although I will shell it out if Transcender is superior.

Thanks
  • Options
    I believe that I used a sample download of prep logic on Network+. Didn't get the paid-for one. Personally, particularly on Server+, I'd go for Transcenders.

Something else, since Server+ is not a popular exam, you can go to half.com and find some reasonable prices on Server+ study guides. Most of these study guides have their own brand of exam software on CD.
    I bought 5 study guides total and read about 3-1/2 of them and took all the practice exams. Believe it or not, the hardest of those exams was from Server+ for Dummies! I don't know where they came from, but it will keep you humble.

So I did the practice exams from the study guides, and then got the Transcenders and that really showed me where I needed review, and, of course, the review is supplied right with the correct answers.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    I believe that I used a sample download of prep logic on Network+. Didn't get the paid-for one. Personally, particularly on Server+, I'd go for Transcenders.

Something else, since Server+ is not a popular exam, you can go to half.com and find some reasonable prices on Server+ study guides. Most of these study guides have their own brand of exam software on CD.
    I bought 5 study guides total and read about 3-1/2 of them and took all the practice exams. Believe it or not, the hardest of those exams was from Server+ for Dummies! I don't know where they came from, but it will keep you humble.

So I did the practice exams from the study guides, and then got the Transcenders and that really showed me where I needed review, and, of course, the review is supplied right with the correct answers.

Best of luck.

Thats what I thought, I used the transcenders for Network+ and cant say enough about them. The only thing that disappoints me is the fact that they dont have a transtrainer for Server+. I love those things.
    I was think of saving some bucks but I have not tried preplogic.

Thanks again.