Options

HFNetchk?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I recently sat and failed the 70-291 exam and hit upon a question about analyzing a PC's update status. The vaild options were MSBA and something called HFNetchk.exe. The Syngress and MSPress books don't mention this program and I'm sure I didn't see it in Transcender. I researched it on the web and it seems to be the same as MSBA. Any ideas on what the difference is and what Microsoft might prefer?

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MBSA uses HFNetchk to check for updates on a system. HFNetchk uses an XML file from a .cab that it downloads from Microsoft's servers. So when you run MBSA, and it displays that critical patches/hotfixes have not been applied, that's all thanks to HFNetchk.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HFnetchk is the old skul version of MSBA it check for Hot Fixes, MBSA has more options which also includes HFnetchk capabilities, HFnetchk is mostly used on Windows 2000 Server.

This is what I remember on top of my noodles!
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I'm thinking MSBA might be the way to go if I see that question again.