Logo's On resume

tallicaman99tallicaman99 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I think it might be a bit tacky, but does anyone use Microsoft/Cisco/Comptia logos on their resume?
barmetallicafanjb1.jpg

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would wager that some people do. I'm with you though; I think it looks tacky.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's less common than it was back in the 1990's. If you have 1 it may not be bad, but putting a whole bunch of of Logo's on your resume would look bad and that space can be better used for skills and abilities.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would not put a logo on my resume unless I was actually a current, participating member of that organization, and even then I'd need to believe that it gave me a serious advantage for being hired. I've seen logos for Harvard, MIT, and Microsoft on resumes, but it really didn't persuade me one way or the other.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I don't use it on my CV, however I do sometimes use logo's on letter's (depending on what letter).

-Ken
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No logos.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    No logos...just list the certs.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never done a logo, but I've seen a couple resumes that were tastefully done and pleasing to the eye.

But all the rest looked like they were applications to clown college. icon_confused.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I think if you hold a Microsoft certification their are certain rules you have to follow interms of how you use the logo and where you place it etc, based on the packet that comes with the welcome kit. I think they say it has to be a certain size, color, and placement on the resume. Anything else not only does not follow the guidelines but would probably make your resume look unprofessional IMO.

And yes i do put my MCDST logo on my resume, its my highest microsoft cert so far, following the guidelines that came with the welcome kit. And i havent had any problems with getting job offers because of it.

wink24
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For professional resume, never.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I think its a nifty idea. I've never done it, but it never occurred to me. Up at the top by the name/contact info, MCP on one side and Comptia on the other side. I'll consider doing that actually.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    win2k4 wrote:
    I think if you hold a Microsoft certification their are certain rules you have to follow interms of how you use the logo and where you place it etc, based on the packet that comes with the welcome kit. I think they say it has to be a certain size, color, and placement on the resume. Anything else not only does not follow the guidelines but would probably make your resume look unprofessional IMO.

And yes i do put my MCDST logo on my resume, its my highest microsoft cert so far, following the guidelines that came with the welcome kit. And i havent had any problems with getting job offers because of it.

wink24

If I'm not mistaken, all vendors are like that. CompTIA for one.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Those people typically litter their vehicle with bumper stickers.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Or you could even (gasp!) add animated gifs or flash movies!!!

For one page resume logos are a no no. Unless they are the only way to fill up the page :D
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Save the logos for a business card.
    Those people typically litter their vehicle with bumper stickers.

I hate that! It is so tacky. Especially the goth's who have the depressing phrases and metal bands all over their car.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    time to play devils advocate....how about using them as watermarks? They are faint, and they dont consume space where text should be.

Personally though, I dont think Id 'logo up' my resume. I dont see it being extremely professional unless its really only way to show your credential (which 99.999% of the time, text works just fine). Its a resume, not a race car...but to each his own
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went to a certification training program a few months ago, and they put logos all over your resume as you obtain the cert
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really depends. I've seen a couple, like Mike mentioned, that were done tastefully. In my opinion, it takes a little bit of a reality-check before deciding to put a logo (and no more) on your resume. Is this cert something special? Is this cert going to be taken seriously by the employer? You may feel very proud of your accomplishment, but you have to take the time to think whether or not the employer is going to care about that cert as much as you do. And, of course, it will also be up to the hiring manager. If the manager thinks logos look good, you'll be in the clear. If he hates them with the passion of a thousand burning suns, then you might just run the risk of not getting that job.

So, for me: If the job is specific to your cert. (i.e. You're applying as a Windows administrator or as a sys admin in a Windows-only shop, putting your MCSA or MCSE logo may be applicable.) If you have a cert that truly stands apart, such as CCIE, CISSP, or even MCA. Other than that, leave the logos off. Definitely never put more than one logo on a printed resume. And, if you're unsure about putting a logo on there or not, your safest bet is to leave it out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    A post from 2004, check out this resume.

http://smorris.uber-geek.net
  • afarmerafarmer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say no to logos on a resume. However, it would be great to include your certifications, logos, and other goodies in a portfolio to show future employers. You could even create a simple website to host your portfolio.

My resume is just text based with no art or logos on it. All of my goodies are included in my portfolio.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    garv221 wrote:
    A post from 2004, check out this resume.

http://smorris.uber-geek.net

That's pretty sweet. It looks alright on the web page, but when viewed in PDF, it looks too bunched up...
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)