Options

Question about college path...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I'll be graduating in the spring with an Associates in Computer Science Technology. In this area, I'm forced to choose between a Bachelors in Business Administration, or the same thing focused in M.I.S.

Due to the school locations, travel distance, and work, it leads me towards only having the choice of the B.B.A program.

In two years that would leave me with the following.
Bachelors in Business Administration
Associates in Computer Science Technology
Whatever certs I get from now till then.
Probably 2 and a half years work experience.

Do you think it's safe to say that after those two years, I would be fairly employable in the Network Administration/Network Security field?

Any input would help, I'm really stressing over this. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Is there any way you could still go for the Bachelors in MIS? For network administration, an MIS degree might be more beneficial. It would give you enough business knowledge (albeit not as much as a full degree in business administration) to work in IT/Network administration. Plus, since it's a more computer-oriented major, you might have more credits transfer from your CS technology degree.

I used to be an MIS major, but I recently swithced over to CS. At my school, I know that picking up a second major in business was only about 20-25 credits on top of what was required for an MIS degree. You might even consider doing something like that.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :D
  • Options
    It will be exactly the same, just different names on my degrees. Ive had all the IT classes required for the MIS degrees. They will just be on a different degree.
  • Options
    Hmm.. I guess every school has a different way of doing their MIS program. Sounds like you might be better off with a business degree then.
  • Options
    I'll explain, but just stay with me icon_wink.gif

I go to Ohio University. I go to a campus which is a BRANCH of the main campus that is an hour away. The campus I go to offers this two year degree in Computer Science, which I'll be graduating from, and the regular four year B.B.A. program. The main campus (as well as a couple other schools within an hour drive) offer a B.B.A. in MIS. I've researched it and at all the schools which offer the MIS degree, you only have to have around 7-10 IT classes. The rest are modeled just like a normal four year B.B.A degree. Since I'll have my associates in the spring, I'll have already had all the IT classes required. In other words, if I transfer into an MIS program, I'll finish out my two years taking business classes.
    I'll also finish out my last two years taking business classes if I go for the regular B.B.A degree.

The end result is only this. I graduate with, 1.) B.B.A in MIS, or 2.) An Associates in Computer Science AND a B.B.A.

I'll have the same content either way. I won't become any more or less knowledgeable depending on the degree I choose. It basically comes down to this.

Will employers shrug their shoulders when I apply for a Network Admin job when I have a B.B.A. and an Associates in Computer Science, as well as experience and certs? Do you think all of this would give me a fairly good shot at the job? I thought it would, ESPECIALLY backed with experience and certifications.
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    An interesting story about an ex-coworker of mine. He actually just quit yesterday. He had a Master's in computer science from an acredited school. 2 years out of college, and the only thing his degree had landed him was a dead end help desk job. Monster and computerjobs.com hadn't turned anything up for thim other then low paying helpdesk. I'd beatin him out a couple of times for promotions with my high school diploma and an A+ because I've been with the company longer, and expierience is the only thing that really counts any more. He left to pursue a career in law enforcement, for which having a college degree means an extra 2 grand a year, the only good thing his degree has gotten him. With the way the tech industry is looking these days, I'd go for the business degree. For most companies the only benefit of a degree is that you have one. Having gone to college shows dedication, it doesn't matter what the degree is (granted it's not in art or something of that nature). And atleast with the business degree have a back up plan for changing careers. Not trying to be discouraging, just think it's a good idea to have a back up plan. I'm personally considering going to a tech school and getting certified to be a welder (they make about $20 an hour entry level and there's a pretty good demand for them).
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    I can't imagine doing anything that isn't tech related for a living. I spent a year in college trying other paths, but it all leads back to the same thing.
    You're right about having the the degree "just to have it" though. That's basically my only reason for pursuing it. Just to show that I at least have the dedication to obtain my Bachelors.
    My boss (the network admin here) told me that some of the upper level mangers here have degrees in completely unrelated fields, such as geology... icon_confused.gif
    I don't plan on getting a job through my degree, that isn't the purpose. I want it to complement my experience and certs, as well as so I can pursue a masters later on.
  • Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get the B.B.A in MIS, I got 2 associates and can't get a computer related job......associate in computer science won't help much when you're applying for IT jobs, most employers will want bachelors in computer science or similiar like cis/mis/it/is etc.... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well, I am doing CIS major, and i am doing it because I love the field itself, and I am above average comparing to other people and students who are in college..
    Now, having Master degree is really impressive & can help a lot but it is useless unless if you have desire and love to the IT field.

So what i am trying to say is, education is really important factor if you take the right path.. if you have education, skills, and spirit then you can beat anyone else there is.

this reminds me of the apprentice...
    Donald Trump fired Troy because of lack of education, where Kwami is harvard college graduate with masters...
    but troy is more street smart (SKILLS) than kwami, but he still chose kwami to stay..
    So why did he choose kwami over troy? i will leave the question for you to answer...
    :)

kicker
  • Options
    Personally, I'm going to a double-major with CS and Business.