Cost of exams?

eqtitaneqtitan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm just like everyone else I'll be taking the 601/602 I read on the CompTIA site that the exam is like $164, but is that per exam or can I pay $164 and take both at the same time?
WIP : A+

Comments

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    per exam. (164.00 X 2) icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • eqtitaneqtitan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

I think I'm going to go cry myself to sleep, then I'm going to pray my Mike Meyers (Bible) comes in tomorrow.

I really need this so hopefully I can get a lot of help from my fellow test takers. I've been unemployed for almost 3 months now. Things are very grim with only my wife working, and me trying to get professional experience in the IT field after 12years of common experience.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sorry to hear about your hardships.

While you're waiting for your book to arrive, be sure to check out the technotes here: http://techexams.net/technotes.php

Good luck!
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you are beginning the new A+ cert...I just did mine last month, and I will tell you, after about 40 hours of studying...you're probably ready to take the test. For no other reason than the MM book you mentioned, Exam Cram reference book, and 2 test booklets did not help me whatsoever. They were the most recent publications, and specifically for the new exams.

Both the A+ and N+ tests I just finished seemed off base from the study materials that are out there. I'm sure they still hover around the objectives when designing the test questions...but there will be a large % of left field stuff you cannot prepare for. At least thats what happened to me.

I used only the books I mentioned and this website, and a little XP and scored decently though, so study hard and go in with confidence for A+.

In all honesty, if I were in your spot, you may just consider going for the MCDST instead. Its much cheaper in the longrun, easier to study for, easier to understand IMHO. In addition, I dont think there is as much ROI for A+.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    eqtitan wrote:

I think I'm going to go cry myself to sleep, then I'm going to pray my Mike Meyers (Bible) comes in tomorrow.

I really need this so hopefully I can get a lot of help from my fellow test takers. I've been unemployed for almost 3 months now. Things are very grim with only my wife working, and me trying to get professional experience in the IT field after 12years of common experience.

Depending on where in the State you are, the market is pretty flooded with A+ people. With 12 years of experience, why are you going back to an A+ and not pursuing some higher level certs that could set you apart from the rest?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote:
    eqtitan wrote:

Depending on where in the State you are, the market is pretty flooded with A+ people. With 12 years of experience, why are you going back to an A+ and not pursuing some higher level certs that could set you apart from the rest?

I have walked into 5 interviews in the last 2 months and the companies I was applying for wanted that cert. not the experience my jaw literally hit the floor...I even said to one of the interviewers "are you serious?". While I do have the experience it has always been home based stuff I have never repaired servers etc.....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    eqtitan wrote:

I have walked into 5 interviews in the last 2 months and the companies I was applying for wanted that cert. not the experience my jaw literally hit the floor...I even said to one of the interviewers "are you serious?". While I do have the experience it has always been home based stuff I have never repaired servers etc.....

A+ doesn't focus on Servers though, so .....that's not really gaining much ground. Server+ is like the Advance A+ and it looks more at Servers.

If you are 'home-based' which I'm not sure how you mean that...maybe only working on single, non-networked systems?? then why not go into business for yourself? Plenty of users baffeled by backing-up data and malware issues....could you work for yourself?

OR

Perhaps another field just to stay employed? Things are tight up there, but there is work available in most areas....might not be the final career move eveyone seems to want to find, but there is work....sometimes those 'little insignificant' (embarassing) jobs lead to the next best thing...never know who you'll meet.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    Sorry about your situation, and I hope the best for your job search.

This might help a little: I bought my exam vouchers on the Mike Meyer's site (totalsem.com) and it knocked about $30 off the price of each test. Its not much, but it might help.

Also, I also just took the test after building (or destroying) home PCs for the last 15 years. After 3 weeks of studying, which was major overkill, I passed oth exams on the first try. If you've been researching and building you own PCs for any length of time, you won't have very muh trouble passing this exam- and shutting up the headhunters.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
    Well I got my Mike Meyers Sixth Edition A+ book today, so I'm going to start studying my arse off.

I had another interview today which went a lot better than I had expected, I just went in with the mentality that I had nothing to lose by being myself and everything to gain. I'm now awaiting my second interview with the company owners.

I have a choice of two positions that are opening, a help desk position (ah desk work and phone support), or Network cabling and break/fix support on site.

It's a salaried position, with great benefits. The company pays for you to become Microsoft certified (whatever MS offers we can do) they buy the materials, but we have to front the exam costs unless we pass.

I would love to go into business for myself, the hardest part is building a stable customer base. I've went as far as advertising (free) on Craigslist for free diagnostics and and website support for anyone who needs it.

Not sure if I can plug my site or not so I'll not plug it.