Options

What certifications allign to different positions?

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I guess my questions is which linux certifications are for certain positions? Helpdes/desktop support, junior administrator, system engineer?

Thanks in advance,

win2k4

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no set-in-stone answer, bbut I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Linux+ and/or LPI-1 for HelpDesk

LPI-2 for a Jr System Admin

RHCA/RHCE for System Admin

RHCE for Engineer

I'm not familiar with the various Solaris/Sun/Novell/Suse stuff to make a call there. Also, you specifically asked about Linux certs for (I am assuming) Linux support roles, but even in a Linux environment extra certifications like A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, and the like will make good additions. Also, knowledge of perl, python, shell scripting, C, and others will be a great help in those environments.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the RHCA is at the Architect level and the RHCT is for a Jr. Sys Admin/Tech. Also, the LPI has 3 levels now. 1 being Jr. Sys Admin, 2 being Sys Admin, and 3 being the Sr. level.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    I think the RHCA is at the Architect level and the RHCT is for a Jr. Sys Admin/Tech. Also, the LPI has 3 levels now. 1 being Jr. Sys Admin, 2 being Sys Admin, and 3 being the Sr. level.

Ah, I stand corrected on the Red Hat, thanks. I remember that now.
    I knew there was supposed to be a level 3 LPI but hadn't seen or heard anything concrete. Looks like it was supposed to launch in january of this year:

http://www.lpi.org/en/lpi/english/certification/new_lpic_3

There do not appear to be any books written for the LPIC-3 though.
    All things are possible, only believe.