MS vs CompTIA

Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
Hello friends,
am currently preparing for the security+ exam and this would my first shot at CompTIA. I have 291 left for my MCSA, and after looking at a few posts, was just wondering wether it is a good idea to attempt Sec+ before 291 with regards to the Level of Difficulty involved. I would rate MS Exams above Sec+ but am not sure if i am right. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers ... icon_confused.gif:
MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, you're comparing the Security+ to what many would consider the most difficult MS exam. I think that most people would find Security+ easier than 291. However, the Security+ is by no means an easy exam. It's not bad if you're well prepared, but it does cover a wide range of material. It also costs about twice as much to take, so there's a little more riding on your results.

I don't think it would matter which order you take them in.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think most people who are working on there MCSE take Security+ after they pass 291. It doesn't really matter which way you do it, I sat for Security+ before 291 because I needed a break from MS exams.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    One argument might be that since you are already accustomed to the MS format and have been studying the MS material (there is a little overlap in most MS exams it seems) then you should continue on that road.

However, as sthomas had said, taking a break from MS for one exam might help you feel less burned out on the MS material when you go back to it.

My experience is completely different, I tool my Security+ before I had ever taken any MS exam.
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    i wud agree with sthomas. i wanted to pick sec+ before 291 just to cool my head off of MS Exams. icon_cry.gif
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3