XP SP2 (beta)

tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just loaded it and besides it taking forever to install, I like it. The firewall is easier to configure and there's a built in pop up blocker.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

check it out

here's a review

http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/04q1/sp2-beta-3.html

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I had my troubles with it. I think the pop up blocker stinks, the ICF is a pain in the ass if you don't need it. Upon install, it felt like I just reinstalled(yuck). I promptly inquired on how to un-install, and have gone back to XP1 until they work it out a little more. But then again, it is M$.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Woah - brave guys here .... LMAO
    Remember friends - wait at least a month otr two and let other suckers end up with screwed systems after service pack failures or issues. This rule should also include Beta releases of any software or OS - including *nix as bugs are not a MS only problem.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah...I just installed SP2(Beta)...Not too thrilled about it. The reason why I really installed it is because my WinXP Pro. is jacked up. Keeps on crashing and I'm too lazy to start from scratch...have tooo much stuff in my machine to start all over again. Was hoping SP2 will fix my crashing problems but it doesn't look like it did. Gonna keep it on for a bit longer to see what happens icon_sad.gif . I might just have to bite the bullet and start from scratch again. Computer crashed 14x within 2 minutes last night. icon_mad.gif It's REALLLLLLY ANNOYING THE (BLANK) out of me. icon_mad.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Man, i do a format, AT LEAST once a month.. I keep all my patch's on a seperate partition, and back up everything there as i go. Keep your Outlook .pst there too, so all you gotta do is reinstall and go.. I dont need to back up anything.. I will give that service pack 2 a shot, hopefully wont mess with my satellite too much.. Crying shame, ive been at this base for 2 years now, and i am finally about to leave, if i find a job, and they are just starting to get DSL here, the installed the dslam 2 weeks ago, now people are finally getting it all set up.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • shpshp Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Viper 75, please try system restore, xp usually creates restore points automatically whenever new hardware or software is added. The onus is on the technician to ensure proper restore/backup. XP has very excellent backup software if you are formatting. You can also attempt to repair a damaged system, this tool is on the xp installation disk.Hate to see you lose everything.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't had any major problems with my system since I removed WindowsME and loaded XP Pro.

The only other issue I had was the system freezing or locking up when I was browsing. It ended up being a video driver issue.