Options

Cisco Admin Tools---must have for Cisco Engineers

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
I'm looking for the best(and possibly cheapest) tools for Cisco Engineers...

I found this great article online which describes some of them
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5649280.html

What are your favorites and must haves for Cisco routing and switching?

Thanks

Goldmember
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My Cisco toolkit consists soley of Putty, but I'm a nub icon_lol.gif

Thanks for sharing the link; those look interesting. Does anyone have any experience with any of those?
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used PRTG, but have stuck with MRTG. PRTG was a good intro for me before I really got mrtg figured out.

Couple of other tools I use are:
    Solarwinds Professional Edition - tftp, network discovery, monitoring, snmp, etc.
    MRTG - various network monitoring
    Excel - or any other spreadsheet, use this for comparing configs or just building some generic configs and flagging the lines that need to change between devices
    Editpadpro - text editor on steroids...has capability to use regular expressions in searches
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Check out Crimson Editor for a great text editor as well. It views Cisco config files unmolested...
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My bread and butter:
    Putty, Solarwinds TFTP, Wordpad, Excel (great for storing and quickly mass editing Access-lists and object-groups), Cisco IPS Event Viewer, Kiwi Syslog, Adventnet Firewall Analyzer and HypericHQ for availability monitoring.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:
    Check out Crimson Editor for a great text editor as well. It views Cisco config files unmolested...

lulz.

I've been playing with MRTG today, but it's rather confusing. :p
    I certainly recommend puTTY.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mrtg is pretty confusing at first, but once you get it, it makes a lot more sense.

I've got a handful of websites that help to set everything up. let me know if you want them.