MS Press - No WSUS mentioned?

Hi

Just got the MS Press book for 70-291. I understand that WSUS is a pretty large part of this exam but I can’t find any mention of it in the index.

Are there any other good resources for this info available (on the internet preferably)

Cheers

Charlie.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can use Microsoft's Technet to find information on anything: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

You might need to select WSUS 2.0 on the right. I believe 3.0 is relatively new and is probably not what you will be tested on.
  • rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    VantageUK wrote:
    Hi

Just got the MS Press book for 70-291. I understand that WSUS is a pretty large part of this exam but I can’t find any mention of it in the index.

Are there any other good resources for this info available (on the internet preferably)

Cheers

Charlie.

I have the 70-291 second edition book right in front of me. It's discussed in chapter 12, lesson 4.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wonder if that was something that was added in the second edition. I read all my stuff through http://safari.oreilly.com and 12.4 is missing in the chapter index, but if I actually go to chapter 12, it's available as a sub-section.
  • hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the 1st edition book my MS Press. There is 2 pages on sus right at the end so i'd say yes it is an addition for the 2nd edition book.

Needless to say I got hammered in the exam by it
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    dynamik wrote:
    I wonder if that was something that was added in the second edition. I read all my stuff through http://safari.oreilly.com and 12.4 is missing in the chapter index, but if I actually go to chapter 12, it's available as a sub-section.
    WSUS was definitely added for the second edition. SUS was present in the first edition (very small write up, but still there).

The best bet for studying WSUS (2.0 for the exam) is to read the guides from technet (deployment guide, administration guide, operations guide) - and of course to set it up in a lab environment!
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    When I studied and took the 70-291 a while back, I had to use Technet for resources. It has the same concepts of SUS, but added functionalities, ways of doings things, etc. I had about 10 questions about WSUS on my exam and it was when it was first added to the 70-291...
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • mcmastermcmaster Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So is reading through the WSUS 2.0 technet documentation sufficient then? I'm taking my 291 on Monday. I've deployed and worked with WSUS 3.0 however like you guys have recommended, i have been going through the WSUS 2.0 documentation. Since the Microsoft Press and Transender software don't seem to have any WSUS examples or setups, with 10 questions pertaining to WSUS 2.0 on the exam potentially, should I really do a lab setup of 2.0 as well? or is it close enough to 3.0 I can just rely on the WSUS 2.0 documentation?
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Is learning WSUS from the MSPress 70-290 exam sufficient for this exam?

Everybody keeps claiming WSUS is big on this exam but its not even listed on the required skills explicitly on the MCSE website....

Huh?
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:
    Everybody keeps claiming WSUS is big on this exam but its not even listed on the required skills explicitly on the MCSE website....

Huh?

Install and configure software update infrastructure.

• Install and configure software update services.

• Install and configure automatic client update settings.

• Configure software updates on earlier operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx#EZE
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Sanger80Sanger80 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WSUS is a relatively easy service to install and configure, but it's also one of those not covered in detail in the MS Press book and needs a lot of hands on in order to really know it inside and out. I was lucky and have used it in the field for many years so it wasn't an issue. The 291 test I took had about 6 questions on WSUS, maybe more.

If I were you, I would install a functional lab, either with VMWare or extra machines you have laying around. Install and configure an DC with AD and create a GPO (or use default domain GPO) that points to the WSUS server (you can install WSUS on the DC in this case but in the real world, it should be stand alone). Then set up an XP client, have it get the policy and updates. Basically, make it work. Then poke around the admin console. Check out the features (especially the Options page). You will have to go through the process of synchronization with MS Update, and of validating an update/patch. You also have to configure WSUS to use a GPO (registry) to configure the clients. Make sure you know the GPO settings inside and out.

After updates have gone out on your XP box, you can also find the computer you updated on the WSUS admin page in the computer(s) list and it will show what updates have been installed on the XP machine you set up. Just poke around, make it work and have fun! It's a great tool, and one of those that your clients will love because it gives admins the power to decide when, where and what gets installed on clients.........and it's free!
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Sanger80 wrote:
    WSUS is a relatively easy service to install and configure, but it's also one of those not covered in detail in the MS Press book and needs a lot of hands on in order to really know it inside and out. I was lucky and have used it in the field for many years so it wasn't an issue. The 291 test I took had about 6 questions on WSUS, maybe more.

If I were you, I would install a functional lab, either with VMWare or extra machines you have laying around. Install and configure an DC with AD and create a GPO (or use default domain GPO) that points to the WSUS server (you can install WSUS on the DC in this case but in the real world, it should be stand alone). Then set up an XP client, have it get the policy and updates. Basically, make it work. Then poke around the admin console. Check out the features (especially the Options page). You will have to go through the process of synchronization with MS Update, and of validating an update/patch. You also have to configure WSUS to use a GPO (registry) to configure the clients. Make sure you know the GPO settings inside and out.

After updates have gone out on your XP box, you can also find the computer you updated on the WSUS admin page in the computer(s) list and it will show what updates have been installed on the XP machine you set up. Just poke around, make it work and have fun! It's a great tool, and one of those that your clients will love because it gives admins the power to decide when, where and what gets installed on clients.........and it's free!
    All great advice for studying WSUS for this exam :)