Capella

shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
So tonight I will turn in my final assignment for my B.S. Degree in Information Systems Management, so as glad as I am to be done I'm starting to think about grad programs.

So my question is geared towards JD but anyone else who has attended there I'd love to hear your comments as well...

I was thinking of going to Robert Morris University where I'm about to finish my undergrad at for my masters but I really like to program they have for InfoSec at Capella...let me know your thoughts whomever has attended Capella for the InfoSec degree, as it really seems like something I'd like to pursue.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    I really enjoyed the InfoSec program at Capella and do recommend it. But a more important consideration is the concept of online learning and whether it's to your liking. If you have never attended online, college-level classes, you might want to try a few from a more inexpensive college or university. You'll quickly discover why online learning is described as "self-directed."
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I took about 6 or 7 online courses throughout my BS, and I really think its what you make of the class...

I just finished one LAMP which i really enjoyed, but i have had a few that I just wanted to get it over with.

It seems like all the classes in the program are extremely interesting and will definitely be a good 3 years spent. Unless I end up working for Carnegie Mellon and get a masters from them for free i think Capella's program will be my choice.
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    shednik wrote:
    Unless I end up working for Carnegie Mellon and get a masters from them for free i think Capella's program will be my choice.

The traffic on Fifth Avenue in Oakland was so bad last year with the construction that it might not have been worth the free school to work there unless you live in Oakland and can walk =0.

Hopefully it will be better this year without the construction. I had to visit a client in that area a few times last year and between Fifth Avenue and Route 28 it took me over 2 hours to get home if I had to leave between 4:00 and 6:00.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    shednik wrote:
    Unless I end up working for Carnegie Mellon and get a masters from them for free i think Capella's program will be my choice.
    A free graduate degree from CMU? Hell, go for that if you can! CMU is a very prestigious school for CS and EE. That's also where CERT and SEI originate. I think that'd be a fantastic opportunity.

Carnegie Mellon News: Information Security Degrees Address Government, Industry Needs
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    JDMurray wrote:
    A free graduate degree from CMU? Hell, go for that if you can! CMU is a very prestigious school for CS and EE. That's also where CERT and SEI originate. I think that'd be a fantastic opportunity.

Carnegie Mellon News: Information Security Degrees Address Government, Industry Needs

Well I was offered an internship there about a year ago which they said may lead to full time work, but I ended up not being able to take it, but I can hope to find a job there sometime.
    Schluep wrote:
    The traffic on Fifth Avenue in Oakland was so bad last year with the construction that it might not have been worth the free school to work there unless you live in Oakland and can walk =0.

Hopefully it will be better this year without the construction. I had to visit a client in that area a few times last year and between Fifth Avenue and Route 28 it took me over 2 hours to get home if I had to leave between 4:00 and 6:00.

Yea sounds like Pittsburgh traffic to me :)