Are the rumors true?

dsufrindsufrin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone

I just found this site and boy it is good to meet so many people in the same situation as myself.

I have just completed 70-290(872/1000), 70-620(953/1000) and 70-270(843/1000). The next exam on my ladder to MCSE is the 70-291 which everyone is saying is very hard, is this true or are the questions on the same level as the others but with a wider range of topics.

I have used MS Press and CBT Nuggets to prepare for my other exams, would this be enough for the 291 or do I need to buy a Transcender type simulator.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for reading

Dan

The exam is the LOCK and the preparation is the KEY

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm doing mine in two weeks. I'll let you know you ;)

Here is a good review by someone who just took it recently: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=186412

Welcome to the site!
  • eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Welcome to the forum. I am on the same boat as you and will be taking mine next month
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eltoro wrote:
    Welcome to the forum. I am on the same boat as you and will be taking mine next month

The test isn't any harder than the others and it's a similar format. The difficulty is that there's a wide range of topics. You need to know, among other things, DNS DHCP & RRAS inside and out. I used only the MS Press book, a test lab to experiment with, CBT Nuggets, and the readiness review suite and I got an 880 first try.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its called the 'beast'. Browse around in the 291 forum to see all the success/failure stories.

oh yea and WELCOME!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed first try with a good score. The best advice I can give is hands on with dns, rras, and dhcp and in that order. If you really want to be good at your job this test is a little more important than some of the other tests in my opinion. I spent prolly 50+ hours of lab time for this test.

But now when I setup a complex network that needs stuff you don't setup every day, its easy. So hard study on this test will really pay off for you.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hands on approach with DNS, RRAS & WSUS, I cannot imagine someone passing this exam without actually performing a real lab experience, as soon you perform your lab you will find it easy.
  • Sanger80Sanger80 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    Hands on approach with DNS, RRAS & WSUS, I cannot imagine someone passing this exam without actually performing a real lab experience, as soon you perform your lab you will find it easy.

What he said. If you go through the MS Press book, cover to cover and do all the labs, I would think you would be in pretty good shape. Make sure you don't have any doubts in your head before you take the test. I would also recommend purchasing the transcender for this test. It will at least get you warmed up for the real deal. Good luck!
  • jbayne3jbayne3 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "The Beast" is next in line for me, and the last test in my way to be an MCSA :D

If you are looking for a cheap lab setup, I would recommend finding a 120 day evaluation copy of Windows 2k3 and using virtual machines (ie vmware).