Where to start?

dpolanddpoland Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm just about to finish my degree in entrepreneurship, and while working on launching a project on the side I need to get out of retail and start making some real money. I know linux very well, and windows enough that I could pass a few certs with self-study.

My question is, what kind of probability do I have of getting a job with just certs? It can be low level, I don't mind and I think once a company sees my skills I'll advance anyway.

The biggest problem is I have no professional experience as far as IT is concerned. As far as my degree- I haven't found many companys looking for the entrepreneur mindset, I'm just way too rounded and not specialized enough for any specific positions except maybe marketing. Which I'd like to avoid like the plague.

Another option is maybe the microsoft or cisco track? I think I might have some trouble with cisco though and I notice most job listings want experience along with a cisco cert. The couple jr linux admin jobs I've looked at seem more forgiving on experience, which I thought was kinda surprising.

Thoughts?

edit: also, does anyone know if you can take LPIC 1 and 2 in the same sitting?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What is your end goal? If you're not looking for a long-term career in IT, you might be better off spending your time on something else. It's going to take a few years of experience before you make any headway in an IT career, and if you're just looking to do something for while you get your other project off the ground, I really think you're going to be wasting your time. Also, I'm not sure what your definition of "real money" is, but I don't think it's too likely that you're going to find it in an entry-level position.

If this is something you want to pursue, I'd start with the CompTIA exams: A+, Network+, Security+, and Linux+.

I'm not sure if you can sit the two LPIC exams in one day. I assume you have to pass the first to take the second. You'll probably have a rough time if you don't pass the first one for whatever reason. You need to reschedule an exam 24 hours in advance, so if you fail the first one, you might get stuck with a nonrefundable test that you're unable to take.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is your "project" IT related?

A Certification gives an employer a idea of the knowledge and skills the certification holder should be able to demonstrate in an interview and on a job. So having a certification may get your resume pulled from a stack and get your resume a look that you wouldn't have gotten without the certification. If you get an interview then its up to you to dazzle them with your brilliance.

It depends on your location, job market, future employers, and being as smart as you think you are as to whether you can start out and move up fast to the "real money."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • dpolanddpoland Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is IT related.

I should have said "better money." Entry-level makes better money than I do, probably by a long shot at that.

Let me rephrase the whole thing actually.

Does LPIC1 and 2 translate to a entry-level position as a sys admin? Do those who have little IT experience but decent certifications have difficulty finding work?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Administrator jobs are not entry level so you will probably not get an administrator job with no experience. You will have more luck trying to get on at a help desk or something similar.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.