Equipment or Simulator

goldorakgoldorak Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am just about to start CCNA.

What is the difference between getting a couple or routers and switches and using Boson Netsim 5.25.
I would immagine it is best to use the real thing but I have Boson Netsim 5.25 if i purchase the hardware, will it make that much of a difference?

Any thoughts, idea welcome... icon_wink.gif

Thank you very much for you time.
Goldorak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A little knowledge is dangerous...

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Personally, I have no experience with Boson Sims, but for when I study my CCNA(eventually), I am currently saving to buy the hardware. It will always come in handy to practice on. If you look, you can find a good deal somewhere.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • goldorakgoldorak Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.

I would have thought that it doesn't really matter what hardware spec you have but more the version of ios. Correct?
    Also, trying to look a bit further down the road, CCNP is not something that i would not consider so what do you reckon.

Ta.
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I am trying to get at least two 26xx series routers, and 2 19xx switches. Plus all the assorted cables and such. You can find good deals on Ebay.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    goldorak wrote:
    Thanks.

I would have thought that it doesn't really matter what hardware spec you have but more the version of ios. Correct?
    The hardware specs are at least as important, you will need routers with at least ethernet and serial connectors. Check out the following two links:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
    Thank you guys,

Since I might do CCNP next, i'm probably better off going for the real stuff. Could be quiet expensive though!

I'll have to see how CCNA and simulator goes first and see if I invest.

Thank you again
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You'll see that there's a lot more fun in configuring and connecting actual routers and switches. If you go low budget (2x cisco 2501 + 1912 enterprise switch), it may cost $100 or $200 more than a gtood simulator (i.e. www.routersim.com) but you can easily sell your equipment/lab when you finished CCNA. But if you want to continue with CCNP, you will probably get a network job after that, which make the lab an almost essential thign to have at home.

If you see any equipment you want to buy, but you're not sure if it has the right specs, just let us know.
    Thanks very much body. :D

You reckon that CCNP might get me a job :P even without real networking experience icon_cry.gif . All i have done is desktop support icon_confused.gif but never telneted to a switch icon_redface.gif .

Ta mate.
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    goldorak wrote:

You reckon that CCNP might get me a job :P even without real networking experience icon_cry.gif . All i have done is desktop support icon_confused.gif but never telneted to a switch icon_redface.gif .

Take it slow for now. It's better to get some basic knowledge, and an entry level job, than to stack up on certs with no hands-on experience. You don't want to become a paper-tech. See what's out there, you might be surprised.
    Yes ta,

An entry level: What does that mean for a ccna mcsa? I don't care what i earn: i can afford peanuts! (i ain't a monkey though!) icon_wink.gif .
    Do ya reckon i can get a job easy in london with that? (i am 37)

Thank you. (your forum rocks like hell)
    Goldorak
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~