reading

Young GrasshopperYoung Grasshopper Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
for those who read the books, how often do you read? for example how many pages per session, do you read the entire book, etc...i just bought the ccent/ccna books from wendell odom. just curious to hear what others do when reading books.

thanks

Comments

• NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to read by chapters. I read a full chapter and depending on how much information it is, I might start another chapter. Sometimes I read a chapter twice in a row in one session and do some labs. If I don't have a lot of time, like at work, then I will skim through 10 to 20 pages that I have already read. Repitition is the key for me. I don't like to wade through a new set of technical information untill I have a full understanding of the preceding chapter. ONce I finish a book, I will pick up a second resource like a cert guide or docs, and then go back to the orginal book as a cross reference. I read various material daily between school, work, and cisco books.
    I think it kinda comes with the territory.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I'm about 2 thirds through my CCNA. Will be taking exam (802) being Feb. I found that if I read book chapter by chapter until the end I got a basic understanding off it all. I would then read again taking notes, on things that didn't sink in.

I would then go through my notes and try and understand. Using other material e.g. web for another point of view.

Then of course labs and repetition and buy your own kit!!

I also got the "The Bryant Advantage Ultimate CCNA" for a second opinion and the labs are great. He explains things without too much tech speak.

I do hope this helps.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how much is the The Bryant Advantage Ultimate CCNA? is it worth the £££'s?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can check it out here. I don't think it would be worth the money. All you need to pass is Cisco Press and the DOC CD which has all the information you need to pass. The DOCs are full of any information you may need, and the best part is its free.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    You can check it out here. I don't think it would be worth the money. All you need to pass is Cisco Press and the DOC CD which has all the information you need to pass. The DOCs are full of any information you may need, and the best part is its free.

no offense to networker but I have to disagree with that about bryant....cisco press is great don't get me wrong but the study pack bryant offers is also very good. I bought the 801 pack for $99 came with his ebook, practice questions for each different lesson and book, plus 3 days of rack time. He has a very good way of explaining things...I learned my subnetting a different method but I know many people who love his way of teaching it. I'd recommend it as one source def and if you have a lab skip the rack time its like $30 cheaper...I caught a few mins of his videos from trainsignal as well they are excellent. So my recommendation's for the ccna exam are:

Chris Bryant
    Cisco Press
    Rack time or a lab

The one thing I also bought that I loved was TestOut but it was expensive
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No offense taken icon_wink.gif

I agree his material is good, but not worth the money as you can find all the information you need from the DOCs. Might be worth it if you are pretty green when it comes to networking and need the extra explanations. I have been using CBT Nuggets for the CCNP and they are great, but never used them for CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll second The Bryant Advantage. It's a great resource for novice Cisco students. You certainly do not need it, but I think it's a great value for the money.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Another great reason for The Bryant Advantage is that you can email him direct, I have got replies within usualy 12hrs. And speaking as someone that is studying for his CCNA, this is a very good resource to have - a real CCIE.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)