MS Press for 293

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I've heard plenty of bad things about this, so I purchased the Syngress book.

My only question is, what was bad about this book? I was curious if the practice tests and lab exercises were of any use. I have a Safari subscription, so it wouldn't cost me any more to go back over those once I finish the Syngress book. If those aren't up to par though, I won't waste my time.

TIA

Comments

• taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    My only question is, what was bad about this book?

Bad, we can't say it is bad but the book is just off-focusing in the main topics, such as CA, PKI, and IPSEC. it is unexpectedly short and lack the details. When I take the practice exams from the CD of the book, I cannot even find the answers from the book but Google. I guess now you could imagine... :D

I am still on the way to 293 because I wasted the time by reading this book. I am reading other book now and hopefully I am ready to take the exam in January or February.

Good luck and Merry Xmas.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • MarphyreMarphyre Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, all I used was the MSPress book for 293 and I passed it first time. Doesn't go into great deal (ie, I wouldn't set any of it up in real life with only this book), but it gave enough detail for the exam I thought. I've liked the MSPress titles until 297, I used ExamCram and Sybex on 270 and 290 (my first 2 tests and wasn't sure what to expect, bought up all of the big name books), but I've passed 284, 285 (using 284 book and MSPress Exchange Resource Kit), 291, 293, and 294 all using just MSPress titles and 2-3 years hands-on experience.

I didn't use the measure up tests with them, so I can't speak much for that part of them other than the program looked like it was written by a 3rd grader...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Marphyre wrote:
    Doesn't go into great deal (ie, I wouldn't set any of it up in real life with only this book), but it gave enough detail for the exam

Exactly, so why would people read it if you wouldn't set any of it up in real life with just this book? Passing the certification is useless then. Passing a test is just passing a test. People should pass them to actually learn and know what to do in real life. Not just to pass some stupid test for the heck of it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • MarphyreMarphyre Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The point of the books is to be review for the exam. That's why one of the requirements that Microsoft lists is usually 1-3 years experience in a fairly large network. I wouldn't use any book that I've used for an exam as the only source for information for setting up one of the technologies. In fact there have been a few things that were new to me in one of the books, so I've gone and found a Microsoft virtual lab, or used my own virtual machines to test it out to learn it throughly (and in some situations after learning them, used them in my production network), then returned to the book. That's why they've been implementing simulations in the exams (and why I like the simulation questions much more then most of the other style questions), to see if you've really used the technology and know it, or if you've just read a book or brain **** and attempted to pass.

That being said, the 293 book hit the main topics and didn't give much more detail, so I could possibly see if you hadn't used some of the technologies and were trying to pass it just off of the book where you would have trouble. But if you have used the subjects in the book, it's a nice, concise review for the exam. So I agree, people should pass the exam knowing the material, but they shouldn't rely on just a book to know it either.
    I know exactly what you mean with the requirement of 1-3 years of experience. But let's face it, it's not regulated and/or enforced and many people use the books to do the initial learning and pass the exams to take the exams. Most jobs these days want to see some kind of certification and not hire some person who doesn't know anything, train them from the grounds up, and then have that person go certify once they hit the Microsoft requirement/recommendation.

I do agree with you that the book is probably find for someone who has been working with all the technologies that are listed in the requirements for 1-3 years. Then yes, the book is good. But it's not near the quality that the other MSPress books offer. It's pretty apparent that the consensus is that the 70-293 MSPress book is horrible compared to other books. So the question is, if you are going to be picking up a book, why get the MSPress version when you can be getting a much better book even though the MSPress book would suffice.

Don't take my comments in my last couple of posts as disagreeing with you or knocking you down. Just taking a different approach based on my own observations, opinions, and beliefs.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Not only does the Syngress book get better reviews, it's cheaper. The MS Press book lists for $60 while the Syngress book is a $10 download. Maybe the practice questions and a 15% off exam voucher add some value to the MS Press book, but I still the Syngress book is a better choice.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I already have the Syngress book. I also have access to the MS Press book, and I was wondering if it would be worth my time to go through that and do the exercises and practice questions or if my time would be better spent elsewhere.
    dynamik wrote:
    I already have the Syngress book. I also have access to the MS Press book, and I was wondering if it would be worth my time to go through that and do the exercises and practice questions or if my time would be better spent elsewhere.

I used the Syngress as my main guide but still went over the PKI, Clusteirng, and NLB chapters for the MSPress just to ensure I gain any knowledge possible for the exam. I'd suggest to at least reading those chapters if you already have access to it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the advice; I appreciate it.