Good News for Techs in the DFW area

Guys,

Good News for Techs in the DFW area! RIM maker of Blackberry just announced that their US HQ is going to be located in Irving, TX and they are planning to hire about 1000 people......

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-rimmove_18bus.ART.State.Edition2.3708ec6.html

It looks like more and more tech jobs are coming to this area.

Mike

Comments

• muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not to sure how I would fit in with a company like that?
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya texas is a good place for IT jobs. I've lived in Houston and Austin, but not Dallas. Houston sucks. I would not want to live in Houston again.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    I currently live in Houston...and I agree, it's a pretty lame city. The only positive I can say for it is that I've met some really cool people here...and managed to get myself into a really good band as well!

But yeah, Houston is a decent city for IT jobs. I hear Austin is way better though.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:
    I currently live in Houston...and I agree, it's a pretty lame city. The only positive I can say for it is that I've met some really cool people here...and managed to get myself into a really good band as well!

But yeah, Houston is a decent city for IT jobs. I hear Austin is way better though.

A co-worker of mine just switched to a job in Houston and said he had no trouble finding one there. He's on the Cisco networking side of IT. Out of curiousity, what's lame about it?
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    I used to live in Minnesota, so I might have some personal bias going into this as well. Compared to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Houston (to me) just doesn't have the same charm and character. There are some nice things about living here (aforementioned availability of IT jobs being one of them), but in general I just don't get a good vibe off this city. Not to mention it always feels like there's really nothing to do around here except work and maybe go to a bar afterwards. It lacks a (decent) centralized entertainment district, and so the nightlife really kind of seems to suffer because of it. Again, this is just my view of the place. Other people's mileage may vary :).
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:
    I used to live in Minnesota, so I might have some personal bias going into this as well. Compared to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Houston (to me) just doesn't have the same charm and character. There are some nice things about living here (aforementioned availability of IT jobs being one of them), but in general I just don't get a good vibe off this city. Not to mention it always feels like there's really nothing to do around here except work and maybe go to a bar afterwards. It lacks a (decent) centralized entertainment district, and so the nightlife really kind of seems to suffer because of it. Again, this is just my view of the place. Other people's mileage may vary :).

Ah, very good reasons. Cities do seem to have their own distinct personality and character. I, for one, really miss Boston. I like the DC area, but it's just not the same to me.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    San Antonio's I/T industry is blowing up down here! Especially in the Health side of it and Security.
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:

I agree. Austin currently has quite a few IT jobs. Call centers are coming back. Lots of contract work and many sys admin/network admin positions.