Options

Didn't Pass 601

PingKingPingKing Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the 220-601 this morning and I didn't pass (640)
675 is a pass, so I only missed by 4 questions

I'm new to IT - 15 months - but I already have my Net+ and didn't have an issue with passing that.

I've used this site and materials,
I bought the "CompTIA Complete A+ Study Guide" Text Book - 2006 objectives.
online tests,
self quizzing, you name it.

when I got out of the test, I had to ask if I took the correct test or not . . .

here is why:
there was almost nothing about hardware,
2 questions on printers and neither one was technical,
nothing about IRQ's, DMA's, I/O addressing, processors, RAM, sockets/CPU types, drives,

I'm finding it hard to believe that I spent the last 6-8 weeks studying the wrong stuff.

Anyone else feel my pain . . ?
the ease of Plug n' Play is inversely proportionate to the executive level of the user hovering over your shoulder . . .

Comments

• Options
    147147 Member Posts: 117
    nothing about IRQ's, DMA's, I/O addressing, processors, RAM, sockets/CPU types, drives,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you don't get too discouraged- be sure to give it another shot.

I'm using Exam Cram 2 and the A+ 2006 In Depth books. The Exam Cram lists every detail about the I/Os and IRQs while the In Depth book seems to list everything you would ever want to know (and then some) about processors, chipsets and sockets/slots. I was planning on spending a huge amount of time committing these items to memory but I would rather focus on things that will actually be on the test.

Since the objectives repeatedly state you should be able to "Identify the names, purposes and characteristics of X...", specific direction is kindof vague.

A general question I have for everyone who has taken toe 2006 exam is "Do we need to know all these factors inside and out?" Or, as I have read from a few others on here, do we just need to have a good grasp of acronyms, basic troubleshooting concepts and have a general understanding of PC technology (by general, I mean the ability to spec and build one from the ground up)?

BTW: PingKing- my apologies if it seems like I'm piggybacking on your suffering...not intentional.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    601 is A+ Essentials, correct?

Exam Objectives:
    1.0 Personal Computer Components 21%
    2.0 Laptop and Portable Devices 11%
    3.0 Operating Systems 21%
    4.0 Printers and Scanners 9%
    5.0 Networks 12%
    6.0 Security 11%
    7.0 Safety and Environmental Issues 10%
    8.0 Communication and Professionalism 5%

Is that what you studied for?

Maybe I should take the A+. I had no idea ZIP represented Zigzag Inline Package...
  • Options
    that is the breakdown exactly.

I wish I could've been able to sit with someone afterwards and go over my test.

It is very frustrating to walk away and not know what information you have isn't correct.

Sure, I got a generic Score Report but when it says I missed something in:

"Install, configure, upgrade and optimize security" . . . .

which question?

what was my answer?

and more importantly, what is the right answer ? ? ?

Even when I passed my Net+, I would have liked to know what I got wrong, so I can learn the correct information.

(shoulder-shrug). . . whatcha gonna do though . . .

the ease of Plug n' Play is inversely proportionate to the executive level of the user hovering over your shoulder . . .
  • Options
    Motor007Motor007 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PingKing wrote:
    I took the 220-601 this morning and I didn't pass (640)
    675 is a pass, so I only missed by 4 questions

I'm new to IT - 15 months - but I already have my Net+ and didn't have an issue with passing that.

I've used this site and materials,
    I bought the "CompTIA Complete A+ Study Guide" Text Book - 2006 objectives.
    online tests,
    self quizzing, you name it.

when I got out of the test, I had to ask if I took the correct test or not . . .

here is why:
    there was almost nothing about hardware,

I'm finding it hard to believe that I spent the last 6-8 weeks studying the wrong stuff.

Anyone else feel my pain . . ?

I just took the 601 last friday and failed too with 640.

But passed the 602..

I came away from the test feeling very low.

Nothing that I study seem to be on the test.

I guess I will go a head and buy the Transcender 601 for $119.

Just want to pop in to share my feeling.

M
  • Options
    dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dont be discouraged, it happens. I took the A+ a year ago with the 2003 objectives. Just study harder and you'll pass for sure.
  • Options
    Motor007Motor007 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK.

Thanx sir.

I just don't know where to start again. If you know what I'm talking about

icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Motor007 wrote:
    OK.

Thanx sir.

I just don't know where to start again. If you know what I'm talking about

icon_eek.gif

Your exam report will give you the areas that need work, so start there. Go over the objectives again and maybe find someone who doesn't know anything about those points and try to explain them to that person.

A+ is an easy exam, but it's best suited to candidates WITH job experience and possibly some book study too. Many points simply require memorization while others will be retained from field experience.

Don't lose sleep over it, people do fail, you are not the first. Just study again and reschedule it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I tried the 220-601 again two weeks ago, and I passed ! ! !

I focused on the same questions that were asked on the 220-602, and viola ! ! PASS ! !

Don't wait too long, try it again -

Good luck !
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Don't get too discouraged. Think about the questions that were on the test and study harder in those areas.
    Took me three tries to pass my last cert test.
    I know it gets expensive but don't give up.
    Transcenders is a good bet.
    Ask other people on the forum how they passed.
    Give your self a little time to get motivated again and re-scedule. You can do it, just don't give up. Keep studying and learning.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    Kain2749Kain2749 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I took the 601 and was cramming IRQs, I/Os, DMAs, and there was none of that on there. The test seemed pretty easy to me, I passed it with a 750.
  • Options
    CarmeloCarmelo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the 601 like 2 weeks ago and pass 760 it but lots of things I study for or expected to appear didn't, I will take the 602 part next week hopefully will pass that one. I have read some say that its easier than 601 only a few have reported its slightly harder.

This was the material I used, hope it help!

I use the Mike Meyers passport 3rd edition book; examforce crammaster, total tester and proprofs free quiz and practice; and the tech notes. Remember to read and review the Objectives.

* I started studying for the 2003 exam (A+ Guide to Managing and Maintain Your PC 4th edition Book) soon after 2006 edition was out, I halt my studying and decide to wait for this edition maybe a good decision or not. I notice the exam was not that much into details as I expected.