Starting a career in the IT field (where to start)

bvzxabvzxa Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.

I am a 34 year old about to go to college and change careers. I guess you can say I'm late in life in figuring out what I want to do, but anyhoo.....

I have always been fascinated by computers. People seem to either have vast knowledge or none at all. I learned the old stuff,like basic, cobalt, and logic, but I really never liked programming, I'm a hardware man. I learned to put together computers in high school, and I went with that ever since. I really couln't land a job doing that, so I have been mulling around doing odd work, now I have been in retail for a little over 7 years, and I hate it. The jobs suck, and it's getting harder for me to focus working in this field. Plus now I have a family and no college education has worsen the blow of not making-ends meet.

I help people from time to time, with in the past 15 years, advising on how and what to put in their computer. I have built custom computers for people for years, ranging in their needs, but I want to know more....lot's more.

I came here becuase I talked to a recruiter from Devry, and almost decided to do the online thing, but I have second thoughts about that now that people think of the school as a degree mill.

I always wanted to be an IT guy for the life of me. I want to learn, no just for me, but to give my kids hope that there lives can be better to.

I want to know what would I need to at least get started. I like hardware, so what type of degree and/or certifications would, or should I get. I'm interested in any advice you can give becuase I'm looking to get started right away.

Also, I used to live in the Raleigh/Durham area, which I will return to next year. I'm ready to do this thang, if you will.

So any advice or help is appreciated

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely go get a degree and do the A+ and Network+ when you start attending classes. During that time, do your best to get internships/Co-ops so you can get some experience built up. Do a good job in school because many jobs will take professor's as professional references. Once you do your Network+, you can start working on your MCP, and depending on how much time you have, start working on your MCSA or your CCNA if you're going the Cisco route. It'll show determination to prospective employeers.

I went to DeVry and felt that it did a pretty good job. I had a great business teacher, the professors were really knowledgeable about Cisco, but the Microsoft skills were lacking big time. Glad I knew a lot of the stuff beforehand though. The telephony teacher we had was excellent. At the time I was taking her class, I personally thought it was useless. But now since I am working on Exchange 2007 for the most part, I see how having that telephony class was excellent due to the integration that is occurring now between Exchange 2007 and telephony (Exchange Unified Messaging and Office Communication Server 2007). The moral of the last sentence or two is, even if you think something is useless in a class, pay attention, as you may end up running into that path eventually.

That's all the advice I can think of. Take advantage of career services, sites such as monster, computerjobs.com, craigslist, etc... While going to school, get as much experience as possible and build up your relationship with your teachers.

Good luck.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You are going to need a ton of dedication and discipline. I started in IT late also. I was 30-31. I am now a network administrator for an architectural design firm. I do a lot of reading. I surround myself with knowledgeable people and leech information. I do a lot of what other people don't do. I got a crap load of computers from various sources and I do lab stuff. Let your wife know that you will be anti social for the next few years. That's partially a joke. If you want to do it, do it and don't look back. I have achieved more than some help desk guys i used to work with the proclaim themselves as really knowledgeable and ahead of the rest. Those same guys don't dedicate themselves. It's only a job for them but in order to succeed it has to be more than a job, it has to be an obsession and a passion. There is my advice. Good luck.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    It's only a job for them but in order to succeed it has to be more than a job, it has to be an obsession and a passion. There is my advice. Good luck.

I like that one! keep them coming :D
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
    It's only a job for them but in order to succeed it has to be more than a job, it has to be an obsession and a passion. There is my advice. Good luck.

This really reminds me of something that happened a couple weeks ago. I was at a training event with a couple of my coworkers, and they were making fun of IT people who spend money on lab computers to play with at home. The IT field is mostly a job to them and never bother doing anything on their off-time. Personally, I read and play with labs when I'm not at work, not because I need to, but because it's my passion/hobby. You can really tell the difference between someone in IT who is in it because it's their passion/hobby vs someone who just does it cause it's just another job to them.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    Personally, I read and play with labs when I'm not at work, not because I need to, but because it's my passion/hobby. You can really tell the difference between someone in IT who is in it because it's their passion/hobby vs someone who just does it cause it's just another job to them.

Wow. You guys are really that passionate about this stuff? I'm just building a Cisco lab to impress chicks...
    dynamik wrote:
    royal wrote:
    Personally, I read and play with labs when I'm not at work, not because I need to, but because it's my passion/hobby. You can really tell the difference between someone in IT who is in it because it's their passion/hobby vs someone who just does it cause it's just another job to them.

Wow. You guys are really that passionate about this stuff? I'm just building a Cisco lab to impress chicks...

Well that too. To be honest, I just have a lab built in hopes to impress my girlfriend when she comes over at night so... well, that's none of your business!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    royal wrote:

Really? Me too, it doesn't seem to be attracting any though....

I think there is only about one or two people I work with who do any kind of IT study after work, its really quite sad. You can always tell the people who do care. They get excited when there is an issue, not stressed out. Great learning experience is how I see it. I guess more power to us who do what we enjoy for a living!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    You know, for me its bad cause I now actually am getting concerned at the amount of electricity its taking up.. I was running alot of those "community grid" applications while I wasnt labbing but after walking out to the living room the other day and having to open the windows cause of all the heat I knew it was getting a bit out of hand. I have yet to turn on my heat and I live in central Minnesota... Saving on natural gas though, right? icon_lol.gif
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I just got a job for a government agency and let me say....lots of red tape.

The best place to start in IT is anywhere. Get the experience and the certs.
    Love the job with a passion.
    You have to or you won't survive, or you will build networks that are bad.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
    I only have 1 beastly machine that I just virtualize everything. I keep it off when I work and just turn it on when I want to do labs, and then keep it off otherwise. It helps me save on electricity for not just saving money, but also helping be more green (to not use electricity when I don't need to use it).
  • bvzxabvzxa Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's how I am. Like everything I know is self taught. I like to read, especially when it comes to anything technical.

I hate TV, and I don't sit in fron of it alot. I play games, but I hack every game system I own. Has to work the way I want it you know.

Yes, I do this for the love, but also, I want to make money. Not just make money, but do something that I love to do.

Another thing is schooling...I still might consider DeVry, but the recruiter was pushy, and I didn't sit right in my stomach, I rahter be informed of all my options to get the best chance I can get, so should I do any certifications frist, at least to get my foot in the door?