No-so-good news

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
It looks like I've finally gotten a networking job with my CCNA schooling. It pays more than I was expecting AND I'm doing directly-related work, which I practiced in school (vs. something like a helpdesk job). Better still, they encourage employees to better themselves and move up, so I should be able to pursue CCVP/CCNP while I work.

Now I'll be able to get some of that experience, which should start the ball a'rolling. Thanks for everyone here who have helped me along the way. The journey begins.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Confucious
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Paying more than you expected?

Wow! I wish I could say that!!!
    -Daniel
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Nice keep up the good work!! :D
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That's great news, congratulations. All the best on the new job, as well as your CCNP/CCVP journey. Let us know how things go.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Congrats.
    A working network geek is wonderful thing.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Congratulations!

Passed my CCNA last week of Oct 07 but I steal work as Desktop Support tech, looking for CCNA job any idea how you get into Junior/Network Engineer jobs, most of jobs seen they ask for 1 year experience with CISCO devices,
    I have been working as desktop support technician for 3 year, is it worthwhile going for junior tech if need to go into networking world!
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Nice way to end the year and start a new... icon_santa.gif
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Congratulations!

Passed my CCNA last week of Oct 07 but I steal work as Desktop Support tech, looking for CCNA job any idea how you get into Junior/Network Engineer jobs, most of jobs seen they ask for 1 year experience with CISCO devices,
    I have been working as desktop support technician for 3 year, is it worthwhile going for junior tech if need to go into networking world!

The folks hiring for this job just so happened to not necessarily want/need experience. I think it was just a matter of having so many hooks in the water that a fish was going to inevitably bite. They also really liked my answers in my interview with them.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Congrats! Glad to hear :)
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Bad news - the company rescinded their job offer before I could start. Due to a small "error" on my part in my distant past, I didn't pass their interim background check. I'm totally bummed out - I was looking forward to doubling my income; now it's back to the FT/PT jobs. icon_sad.gif

I guess it's all the more incentive to get the CCVP under my belt. No experience is no experience, but at least I'll be somewhat more attractive to employers.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tough break icon_sad.gif

There was a whole thread about errors of youth coming back to haunt people years later.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    That really sucks, any company doing that kind of background checks is not worthy to work with. If they discriminate people based on their past they will surelly have some other discriminatory tendencies IMHO.

Dont worry man you will get something better.
    I hate pandas
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cucumber wrote:
    That really sucks, any company doing that kind of background checks is not worthy to work with. If they discriminate people based on their past they will surelly have some other discriminatory tendencies IMHO.

Dont worry man you will get something better.

I don't think it's discrimination to hire people with clean records.

However, I think these checks should be done up front. Going about the matter this way wastes everyone's time and causes hurt feelings.
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    I think my job required a background check...I think it may have been the first time I had one. Fortunately, I've NEVER been in trouble with the law, so my record is clean. Just gotta keep it that way and I'm golden ;)
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had run ins with the law before, but I've never been arrested or convicted of anything. I can't understand why law figures seem surprised when I tell them I've never been arrested before. :D

I've applied at law enforcement agencies before...the application process can take 1-2 years, so you don't have it that bad. Sucks about what happened though...I agree that the background check should have been done ahead of time. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Unfortunately, a lot of companies take this approach.
    In order to save money, they only do background checks on people that they are ready to hire. They'll say something like "As long as the background check goes through, you're hired." It sucks when you're on the wrong end of that contengency.
    You didn't get specific about your "indiscretion" but usually, being upfront about it is the best policy.
    Keep up the spirits and perservere. Good things will come to those who work while they're waiting.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.