NAT lab cabling question. N00b here.

beezeebeezee Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a 2520 router with a 10bT interface, AUI port and serial interfaces.
I want to connect this router to my broadband modem so I get one
computer online this way before moving on to PAT.
Will this work since I have only one ethernet interface on this router?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • beezeebeezee Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I already have a transceiver. A transceiver plugged into the AUI port with a straight through cable to a PC. I don't think you can assign an IP address to the AUI though.
  • xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    The AUI port and 10bT port are part of the same ethernet interface on the router (Ethernet 0). You will not be able to connect the modem and PC at the same time unfortunately.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah you will need a router with 2 ethernet interfaces like a 2514 or a 2611. I owuld go for the 2611 because it can forward frames faster than the 2514 and can handle a wider array of interfaces, including a DSL WIC so you can eliminate the modem.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    I have a 2620 with one fastetherport. I should be able to get an ethernet module on ebay to add to it right? Is there a specific card that it needs?
    beezee wrote:
    I have a 2620 with one fastetherport. I should be able to get an ethernet module on ebay to add to it right? Is there a specific card that it needs?

I think you need this: nm-1fe-tx

I had to get one for my 2613 since that only supports token-ring by itself.

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of having an AUI and an ethernet port if you can only use one of them at a time? Does the AUI just allow connections other than ethernet?
    Just out of curiosity, what is the point of having an AUI and an ethernet port if you can only use one of them at a time? Does the AUI just allow connections other than ethernet?

I'm trying to figure that out myself...lol
    Ever heard of coax? It is designed to connect to either 10b2 or 10b5.

The 2500s were made back when coax was still used as an Ethernet medium. An AUI port with a transceiver gives you the flexibility to have 10b2, 10b5, or 10bT.
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Well spoken, xwesleyxwillisx. Sometimes the "old-timers" need to show up to explain things about the "old and slow" days.
    Be careful buying ethernet ports for a 2600 router.
    The 3600 has a a lot of ethernet interface modules that will not work in the 2600. The 2600 only has one or two specific modules that will work.
    Do your research before you buy, don't take the seller's description as gospel.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    freetech wrote:
    The 3600 has a a lot of ethernet interface modules that will not work in the 2600. The 2600 only has one or two specific modules that will work.

It works in my 2613. dtlokee recommended it to me here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=181624#181624
    freetech wrote:
    Well spoken, xwesleyxwillisx. Sometimes the "old-timers" need to show up to explain things about the "old and slow" days.
    Be careful buying ethernet ports for a 2600 router.

At the ripe old age of 20? :D

Beezee, if all you need is an ethernet port for your 2620 the cheapest solution is a WIC-1ENET. This gives you 1 10bt port. Since the module is only 10Mbps use that to connect to the modem and the built-in 10/100 for your LAN.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    beezee wrote:
    I have a 2620 with one fastetherport.
    You could also do router-on-a-stick with the 2620 and a switch that supports VLANs.

You might need to change cables to connect the broadband modem directly to the switch.

The only other thing sharing the VLAN with the broadband modem would be the sub-interface on the 2620 that you use as your outside interface for NAT.

And, of course, make sure you consider the security implications of what you are doing, and apply some security to your router. What you eventually do apply will depend on the Version and feature set of the IOS on the 2620.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Beezee, if all you need is an ethernet port for your 2620 the cheapest solution is a WIC-1ENET.
    The WIC-1ENT only works with the 1700s.... unless something has changed recently.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13923
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Okay, beezee, listen to all the advice and then do your research.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    mikej412 wrote:
    Beezee, if all you need is an ethernet port for your 2620 the cheapest solution is a WIC-1ENET.
    The WIC-1ENT only works with the 1700s.... unless something has changed recently.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13923

Hehe, I stand corrected. I did not know that.

I assumed you could use them with 2600s or 2600XMs.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When you assume things you make an a$$ out of you and me.....

Don't make an a$$ out of me.

Your best bet would be to use a switch if you have one (which you will need for your CCNA study).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.