70-299 Passed

Just passed the 70-299 exam today with 1000. It was my first perfect score throughout my MCSE track, and conveniently it was the last exam in my track to MCSE:Security.

The majority of my questions were GPO related questions whether it be applying Custom Security Templates, troubleshooting secured communications, etc. I can honestly say that some of the questions were funny due to the way off the wall answers for choices. I'll say that 80 pecent of my exam was SUS and GPO. The other stuff was DNS Security, DHCP Security, workgroup computer security, etc. I only remember one PKI question and two WLAN questions...only 30 questions on the exam by the way.

One more MS 2003 exam that I will be studying for, and I might be calling it quits...I may be changing jobs that do not require constant studying and certifying, and if I did, I wouldn't be using them...management.

EDIT: Read over MOC 2823 book, took the class, and used Measure Up Practice exam. I also used TEchnet that was linked to a few Measure Up questions that I was confused on, so I did more reading on Technet. I also breezed the the Security Hardening Guide as well to get more info on the pre-defined security templates and other stuff.
B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
M.B.A. (Technology Management)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on the perfect score and MCSE:S completion!

What did you think about 298 before 299? I've seen some people recommending doing 299 first.

What's the last exam you're going to tack on?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job famos. icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    dynamik wrote:
    Congratulations on the perfect score and MCSE:S completion!

What did you think about 298 before 299? I've seen some people recommending doing 299 first.

What's the last exam you're going to tack on?

Well...I took both MOC courses before taking the 298. I also studied both material before taking the 70-298. It was just up to me on which one to take first. I wanted to take 70-298 to finally get MCSE after 2 years of working for it!! 70-298 IMO was pretty simple as it was more common sense questions like, what is the most secure authentication method to use, AGUDLP design for signing permissions, most secure encryption for given scenario, etc. I answered most of the questions by just reading the question and going back tot he Case Study when I see the Keywords "Based on business requirement, someones interview, etc." Taking the 70-298 first gave me more time to study further for 70-299 which was supposed to be more in depth than the design exam. Both exams were pretty much common sense and lot of it was already introduced in other exams and courses. Common sense meaning you should know that when you require mutual authentication and have to choose between MS-CHAP and MS-CHAPv2...or what type of authentication to use in certain situations...Kerberos or Certificate-based, CA Hierarchy Best Practices, etc., etc. A lot of people either take 298 or 297 for their design exam and don't even bother with 299.

Next on deck will be 70-285. I have the MOC book for it, but I am going to take the class again...it's been a while. I'm in Exchange a lot, but I'm sure there are some design stuff that I will learn from the MOC, Technet, and here.After failing a few exams, I don't walk into the exam room unless I am confident that I have studied, reviewed, and learned as much stuff as I can. If I fail the exam knowing that, it's not that bad to me...I'll just bone up on the areas that I was weak on which will make me even stronger.

Thanks everyone!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the detailed response. I'm going to have these coming up in the next few months, so it's nice to start getting an idea of what to expect.

Good luck with the Exchange exam and the new position, if you decide to take it.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Big congrats on the pass, especially with a score like that. Congrats on the new MCSE: Security designation as well, that's a nice addition to have on your credentials. Good luck on the path ahead, whether it's the Exchange tests or otherwise.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats you aced it man!

And thanks for the break down, I'm going to start grinding this next year.