Cisco 800 router

EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I found a good deal for a Cisco 800 router and was wondering if this includes the necessary IOS for the CCNA.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Without a show version or boot messages, we can't answer your question. It could be anything from 12.0~12.3.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    EJizzel wrote:
    I found a good deal for a Cisco 800 router and was wondering if this includes the necessary IOS for the CCNA.

Thanks in advance

Ejizzel,

Which IOS is listed on the "good deal?"
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The seller unfortunately didn't list the IOS version (he is supposed to get back to me) I did a little searching on Cisco's website and found out that the 800 - 804 router comes with IOS vs. 12.0 is this good for the CCNA.
  • beezeebeezee Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know If I'll go that route as I haven't seen any 800 series in a cisco lab . That's just my .02 cents
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Well i know the new exam is based off of 12.4 so the command set will have differences...I've never used an 800 series to see if there are any other differences but if you want to buy it just to have it may be worth it, could set it up for your home network...depending on how good of a deal it is. :D
  • beezeebeezee Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's worth the try.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EJizzel wrote:
    The seller unfortunately didn't list the IOS version (he is supposed to get back to me) I did a little searching on Cisco's website and found out that the 800 - 804 router comes with IOS vs. 12.0 is this good for the CCNA.
    You'd want at least 12.2, but a 12.0 is better than nothing and still useful.

The 800-804 probably isn't useful. Aren't these obsolete? Do you have an ISDN connection (or simulator) at home and something else to connect it to (if its an ISDN model)? I don't think you need to do dial-up networking on the CCNA old or new (if its a dial-up model). And if you do have a DSL connection at home -- does it support IDSL (if this is an old IDSL model)?

Plus the ethernet ports on the back are just hub ports.

I'm usually leery of anything on eBay that doesn't include the complete output of a show version command. Right now you don't seem to know the actual model, the IOS version it comes with, the IOS Feature Set, the amount of memory (DRAM/Flash), the interfaces, etc.

If you don't get that information, I'd pass on this one.

Some later 800 models would be fine for running your home internet connection and letting you attach to your home lab remotely. But as a useful router in a CCNA lab.... probably not. A new 800 model may be useful for one of the CCNP exams (for the DSL/ATM configuration, if they still do that).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    800 series routers are very limited in their feature sets.

They are just a simple soho router so many of the objectives required of the ccna simply arnt configurable on that router. But it will work GREAT for the CCNP's ICSW (for the dsl technologies)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1