Options

new to Microsoft track

nangananga Member Posts: 201
Hi Folks.
Am new to the Microsoft Arena.

I am a CCNA, Comptia Network+,Security +

I would like to pursue the Microsoft track......but am confused from where to begin.

Would be thankful if could lay out a track for me.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi and welcome. :)

If you want to go down the MCSA/E 2003 track I would begin with 70-270, then 70-290.
    If you would rather start down the Vista/Server 2008 track, then your choices are more limited, as the exams for 2008 are not available yet, so you would begin with one of the Vista exams.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    thanks for your reply. Which material should i refer to ...i mean u have time constraints....sybex or some other publication.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nanga wrote:
    Hi Folks.
    Am new to the Microsoft Arena.

I am a CCNA, Comptia Network+,Security +

I would like to pursue the Microsoft track......but am confused from where to begin.

Would be thankful if could lay out a track for me.

Since you already have the CCNA I would suggest starting with the 70-290 (server 2003) first as this will work well as an MCP with your CCNA. This says to potential employers "I am not looking for helpdesk. I am a SA!" Then as sprkymrk mentioned the 70-270. But really you need to know what your ultimate goal is. Would you be happy with just an MCP, how important will it be for your career? Since you are posting in the MCSE Security forum and have your Sec+ I assume you might have an ultimate goal of MCSE Security. If that is the case I would follow this strategy: 290, 270, 291 (gives you MCSA due to your Sec+) then 70-350 (MCSA Security) then 293, 294, 298 and you will have your MCSE Security. With your CCNA background you could easily achieve the MCSE Security in 4-6 months.
  • Options
    nanga wrote:
    thanks for your reply. Which material should i refer to ...i mean u have time constraints....sybex or some other publication.

MS Press stuff is very good. Also comes with test prep software. Sybex is also great.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did A+, Network+, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, CCNA, Security+, 294, 293, then 298. A bit out of order, but that's the general idea.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I did A+, Network+, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, CCNA, Security+, 294, 293, then 298. A bit out of order, but that's the general idea.

That's not out of order icon_wink.gif It's smart testing. I mean it doesn't matter when you take the 293 or 294, right? Just have to play to your strengths. Although I think taking the 293 right after the 291 is generally a good idea, that CCNA you got between the two is a lot of work. I would have wanted a bit more time for the 293 too. Seems like it was a smart plan to me.