Which book to study

xheathxxheathx Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took Cisco 1-4 in highschool but thanks to our teacher not caring and giving us his admin login to get the answers, us passing=him getting paid....so I didn't learn anything because I took an easy grade. icon_sad.gif

Anyways, I am going to start working on getting some certs, and figured I would start off with A+ and Network+ before going for a CCNA and etc, I am currently working an IT helpdesk job doing tech support for colleges, but onto the reason of this thread.

In my Cisco/computer class I got a Michael Meyers A+ book, and I seen the same book in the recommended study books, but it showed Fourth edition, this book is from 03/04 that I have and it is the 5th edition. If I read all of it and etc I should be able to pass and get my A+ fine right?

It is the All in one 5th edition, and I see there is a 6th edition out.

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    xheathx wrote:
    I took Cisco 1-4 in highschool but thanks to our teacher not caring and giving us his admin login to get the answers, us passing=him getting paid....so I didn't learn anything because I took an easy grade. icon_sad.gif

Anyways, I am going to start working on getting some certs, and figured I would start off with A+ and Network+ before going for a CCNA and etc, I am currently working an IT helpdesk job doing tech support for colleges, but onto the reason of this thread.

In my Cisco/computer class I got a Michael Meyers A+ book, and I seen the same book in the recommended study books, but it showed Fourth edition, this book is from 03/04 that I have and it is the 5th edition. If I read all of it and etc I should be able to pass and get my A+ fine right?

The exam has changed since 03/04

check out comptia.org for a list of recommended materials I've always found Mike Meyer's book to do a great job with A+ though just make sure you buy the right one for the current objectives
  • hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xheathx wrote:
    If I read all of it and etc I should be able to pass and get my A+ fine right?

only you can answer that, when youre hitting 90% on the practice exams you are probably ready, but.. then again.. that depends on the practice tests, some practice sets are more tricky than others, ive seen some practice tests that seemed too easy and could give a false sense of 'readiness'

also... find the current A+ objectives, and make sure you have all the bases covered

I would go for the latest edition of any study guide, this is IT, things move fast, the all-in-one 6th edition covers newer technologies, biometrics for example, in much more detail than the 5th
  • xheathxxheathx Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, yeah I will probably end of getting the 6th edition one. I remember the Cisco instructor I had was saying how Michael Meyers was the man and his books are great. One thing I like about them is from what I have heard, its not a study guide that is going to try and give you what the test will look like and etc, but give you the information that no matter how a question is worded, you will know how to answer it, and what the correct answer would be.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    xheathx wrote:

No.

I used MM's Passport, Exam Cram 2, this site, and all of their associated practice tests to study for the A+ (602) and N+...and I have to say that from my experience and others that have recently taken it, the "new" study materials do not reflect the test very well at all. I passed them, but it was not due to any of the studying I did. The tests were just full of random weirdness, not very concept heavy.

*edit* I do like how MM lays out the book and explains things though. Easy to read and understand.
  • xheathxxheathx Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what would you all suggest the best guides for me to purchase? I am going to start studying for my A+ and then move to Network+. I wasn't going to worry about network+ and probably just go a cisco route but I'd also like to get into MS a little and since A+/N+ counts as an elective for MSCA I figured it wouldn't hurt and also would further my knowledge and etc
  • Chester DraytonChester Drayton Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, everyone. I'm a new guy that will be on the way to the store tonight to buy an A+ study guide/book to prepare for the A+ cert. Can anyone, please, suggest some good study guides? Mike Myers has been suggested, as well as, Exam Cram for A+ Essentials and 220.602. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Seeking Certs