New Cisco Curricula; Exploration or Discovery?

nounlunounlu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has any one of you had a chance to check out the new cisco curricula. Cisco states they both prepare you for CCNA yet use a different approach. So we would have to pick one. I was just curious which one is better? I am startin college in a few weeks and I may have to make a choice between two. Thanks

Comments

• tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    nounlu wrote:
    Has any one of you had a chance to check out the new cisco curricula. Cisco states they both prepare you for CCNA yet use a different approach. So we would have to pick one. I was just curious which one is better? I am startin college in a few weeks and I may have to make a choice between two. Thanks

nounlu,

What is your college major or your intended college major?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I find the two tracks confusing too, since both supposedly prepare you for the CCNA.

It sounds like Discovery is for a complete beginner, while the Exploration is for "working professional who would like to advance their careers or gain certification." The first question in the FAQs is "Why did Cisco create two new CCNA curricula?"

The quick answer is:
    Students who enroll in CCNA Exploration will be expected to know binary math and understand the concept of algorithms, whereas students who enroll in CCNA Discovery will not be expected to have this knowledge and the curriculum will provide expanded explanations and tools such as a binary calculator.

The direct FAQ link is here (PDF file)

Track Descriptions, Datasheets, and Demo Chapters for each track are at these links:
    CCNA Discovery
    CCNA Exploration
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • nounlunounlu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well my major would be network engineering in college but I am really going to college to be in the Cisco academy. First I will take my cisco classes and hopefully certificate and then I will concentrate on basics to finish my degree. If I find a job before I get my college degree, I may put college degree in the back burner for a while. After a CCNA certification, I would rather persue CCNP then trying to get an assaciates degree from a 2 year college that I am going. What do yo guys think?? Is a college degree that big of a deal?

As for the Exploration and Discovery. I much rather take Exploration now. I don't see how is it ok not to learn how to do the binary math? So if you are a Discovery student you can use a binary calculater at the exam but if you are a Exploration student you don't?? That doesn't make a lot a sense to me. As long as I get to study Exploration I am ok. I am also for learning binary(which I already know now). I can't imagine a network administrator who doesn't know how to do binary.

Thanks.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nounlu wrote:
    If I find a job before I get my college degree, I may put college degree in the back burner for a while.
    You want to get your degree..... eventually.

If you can find a job and start getting experience, then do it. Some people get their degree and get certified but then have a problem finding that first opportunity. But don't "back burner" the education for too long..... if you get a job, still try to take at least one course toward your degree per semester/quarter. And if you can't find a job, then try for an internship through your school -- which could lead to that first networking job.

In a perfect world you'd have the money to go to school, get an internship for experience, get some of the entry level certifications (and maybe even start work on some advanced certifications), and have a job waiting for you when you graduate with your degree.... but most of the time the real world doesn't match up with the perfect world.

For the binary math for subnetting, you can use the www.learntosubnet.com website. And use the www.subnettingquestions.com website to practice your subnetting skills.

It does sound like you have it all figured out icon_thumright.gif Good Luck!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks for the advice. :)

I will also leave feedback about the new Curricula when I start my classes in 2 weeks. I will see what my instructor has to say about it.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    nounlu wrote:
    Well my major would be network engineering in college but I am really going to college to be in the Cisco academy. First I will take my cisco classes and hopefully certificate and then I will concentrate on basics to finish my degree. If I find a job before I get my college degree, I may put college degree in the back burner for a while. After a CCNA certification, I would rather persue CCNP then trying to get an assaciates degree from a 2 year college that I am going. What do yo guys think?? Is a college degree that big of a deal?

As for the Exploration and Discovery. I much rather take Exploration now. I don't see how is it ok not to learn how to do the binary math? So if you are a Discovery student you can use a binary calculater at the exam but if you are a Exploration student you don't?? That doesn't make a lot a sense to me. As long as I get to study Exploration I am ok. I am also for learning binary(which I already know now). I can't imagine a network administrator who doesn't know how to do binary.

Thanks.

nounlu,

Since you mention "Network Engineering" that's a techie type major so the CCNA Exploration program should suit you better than the CCNA Discovery. The CCNA Discovery program is designed from a "non-techie major" perspective like Business Administration.

Are the Cisco Networking Academy Program courses parts of a "network engineering" degree at the Associates level?
    nounlu,

Since you mention "Network Engineering" that's a techie type major so the CCNA Exploration program should suit you better than the CCNA Discovery. The CCNA Discovery program is designed from a "non-techie major" perspective like Business Administration.

Thanks for the info. I am going to chose Exploration. I hope the college will be offering it also. The reason I say that because there is only one instructor and one class so it is either going to be Exploration or Discovery. I have my fingers crosses for Exploratoin.
    Are the Cisco Networking Academy Program courses parts of a "network engineering" degree at the Associates level?

Yes
    It is exactly called,
    COMPUTER SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY
    Network Administration
    Associate in Applied Science Degree
    http://www.gadsdenstate.edu/catalog/catalog0708.pdf page 131 are basics and
    bottom of page 132 are the rest.

Thanks