Linux + exam question?

njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am planning on taking the Linux + exam soon.
I have used linux on a limited basis for about the last 4 years. I still prefer Novell (netware core) and windows server.

At any rate, I have gone through the TestOut linux + exam and am scoring an 85-88 on the exams. Has anyone used testout? how does it compare to the real test?

A minimum passing grade of 675 is needed, but what does that compare to on a 1-100 scoring system?

If the 675 is a possible score from 100 - 900, is it safe to say that the score is equivalent to 675/'800 or 84% ?

I don't really use linux on a daily basis, but my work is going to require it for my next pay raise. Any opinions and help in passing the course are welcome.

Comments

• remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Install linux and use it constantly. You can install it in a VM or install it as your main OS for a period. Get very comfortable with the command line. The command line is your friend. Install either Debian or CentOS. They are both very good distros as well as both of them being on the exam.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    You always learn so much by doing installs because you never get it right the first time. I don't recommend dual boots. Just use an old machine you have laying around because it doesn't take much to run Linux. Concentrate on the CLI. Don't worry about X windows, just know how to turn it on and off. a little networking, a little security and admin. very doable exam. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Install linux and use it constantly. You can install it in a VM or install it as your main OS for a period. Get very comfortable with the command line. The command line is your friend. Install either Debian or CentOS. They are both very good distros as well as both of them being on the exam.

Been there, done that.
    I am running a few linux servers now. Most are pain free and need little maintanence.

I run Suse, Fedora, Slackware, Knoppix, Ubuntu and a couple of other flavors, both in VM and on older PC's.

I am just curious if anyone has used Testout for training and how close was it to the exam?
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    It sounds like you should be in very good shape for the exam. Work down the list of exam objectives from CompTIA. All of the "key" commands covered on the exam are listed in the objectives. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    It sounds like you should be in very good shape for the exam. Work down the list of exam objectives from CompTIA. All of the "key" commands covered on the exam are listed in the objectives. icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the response.
    I took the pratice exam on here and scored a 90 (18/20) on the first try. The questions seemed like common sense but what do I know.

I have been in the IT field for 10 years now, have a BA in computer science, my CNA 4, 5, 6 and 6.5, CCNA and run a multi-million dollar network.

I just don't want to look like an idiot and fail a comptia exam.
  • furgoonfurgoon Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will look like an idiot anyway especially if your wearing that Wal-Mart camouflage from the other day.
    furgoon wrote:
    You will look like an idiot anyway especially if your wearing that Wal-Mart camouflage from the other day.

Thanks,
    Just remember the .50 caliber muzzleloader with 295 grains of lead and 100 grains of black powder has a camo stock and forearm. It is tough to outrun 2200 FPS

Now back to the real issue at hand. 8K per year