Groovy!

Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, just introducing myself since I'll be hanging out here for the forseable future.

I recently got out of the US Air Force. I was a 3C0 and decided to try my luck as a dirty civilian. I wasn't able to re-up as a computer geek so, here I am. The Air Force paid for a week long Network + course for me in April. The same guy came the next week and taught Security + but I wasn't chosen for that class too. The trails of red tape I had to run through to try to get a voucher paid from the Air Force didn't work quick enough.

After I got out, took Network+ in November, passed, no major issues. Just used my experience, the 1 week class, and the book I got from that class which was from course1lt.

I barely studied at all for the A+ tests. Money wasn't an issue ordered the vouchers from http://www.getcertified4less.com/ a few days ago. Figured it was going to be an easy test and it was. Took 602 of course with essentials earlier today. Both of them seem to be the same thest pretty much. I'd recommend everyone take them the same day if they're comfortable doing it.

I've worked for 4 years in an enterprise environment. Plenty of level 1 and 2 helpdesk suport experience. Got 'promoted' to where I pretty much tackled domain wide DNS and DHCP issues (mostly DNS of course).

When ever I'm given a question on a test asked as a scenario where a user is experiencing some kind of problem, half the time I'm looking for the answer to be reboot the machine, but it's not a choice and it freaks me out. I would say at least 10% of the problems I've been presented with were fixed with a reboot. Users just don't like rebooting I guess.

I hope to get an MCSA in the next 6 months. I plan on taking Server+ next just for fun pretty much. Getting certified is actually 'fun' for me, at least when I pass, when I fail it won't be so fun anymore. After that work on the Security+ or 70-270. Server shouldn't be too hard, but security and 270 I'll be sure to study a bit.

Just saying Hi and thanks for all the good info. And for saving me a few bucks with the certifiedforless link I found somewhere on the site. I just registered today but I've been looking here for more then a month. I forgot how I ran into this site. Think I was googling how they scored the Network+ test or something.

Thanks again!

-TT
A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
CCNA

Comments

• freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Welcome to the forum.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got an offer for a free A+ T-shirt after I took my test, it ends in March. Is that something they just started in 08' or has it been going on for awhile?

http://certification.comptia.org/shirtgiveaway
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Welcome.

I jumped out of an AF plane or two in my days in the army in georgia and north carolina :)
    Heh, the only cool thing I did was go through the Marine Corps Corporal's Course as an airmen. I'll tell you, that was fun. C-130 ride around Djibouti, a Helicopter hop, other then that, I was a paper pusher and didn't do anything fun like jumping out of planes.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    other then that, I was a paper pusher and didn't do anything fun like jumping out of planes.
    make no mistake, it was most definitely NOT fun. Every jump was a long drawn out uncomfortable start to several ball busting sleepless days and nights.

Dont listen to the hype, military jumping is not fun when you come out at 800 feet in the pitch black with 80 lbs of crap hanging off your junk and collarbone.

It's only cool after the fact because its over. However, my PoV was from that of an infantryman...ask a 5 jump chump that went to school to get the badge and they'll tell you a different perspective.
    I've only heard stories man. My old supervisor got out of the army and joined the chair force. He had some pretty damn good stories if I must say so.

I can see the jumps not being totally awesome until after it's all over with. I had the idea that I'd get some pretty cool experiences when I first went to an Army recruiter. The Air Force recruiter quickly stole my heart with a good ol' computer job. If I only would have choosen the blue pill (Or was it the red?)

I have respect for the Army and Marines. For the most part they do all the dirty work, Navy and Air Force are pretty much just support services with some exceptions.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA