I'm in a bad situation.

KhaddarKhaddar Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

I hate to introduce myself to the forum like this, but I am taking the 70-271 exam friday...

You see, my workplace just moved me into the tech department out of customer service because I have some basic skills from back when I was younger and worked at a computer company. How I ended up at this internet company is quite a story in itself.

Well, They decided this morning that they needed an MCP to maintain their Microsoft partner status that they just received...so they registered me for the test friday and threw a Microsoft Self Paced Training Kit at me and said I'm taking it Friday afternoon. Apparently between the 11 techs in our department NONE of them have any microsoft certifications(mostly programmers). They said they don't have much use for a tech without an MCP. I asked for my old position back but they have already filled that position. So now I'm in a serious bind. Furthermore I talked with my immediate supervisor and it looks like I "may" not have a job if I don't pass this, they'll "probably" just replace me with someone who has one. I was thrilled to be moved into the tech department, I did not expect everything to turn so sour so quickly.

Well, now I've got my nose to the grindstone and I am pouring through the book. I just took the "test exams" included with the book and scored "44%". Now I'm naturally going to target my studies based on my weaknesses (everything) that the test exam showed. I am looking for some type of highly effective supplement to my studying that is preferably cheap...as I may be out of work soon...

Sorry about such sloppy writing of this message but needless to say, writing it has cost valuable minutes. I literally feel like I'm going to throw up. If you only had 2 days to study, what would be the most effective approach that can preferrably be downloaded. I know this seems like an impossible situation, but I'm desperate to pull my score up to passing, my livelyhood depends on it. Many of the people on here have taken the exam before and any general guidance would be hugely useful.

Thanks

Comments

• KhaddarKhaddar Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And they said if I pass I will "probably" be getting a substantial raise. UGH....PRESSSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    If you haven't yet check out the technotes on this site. They were very helpful when it came to the 270. Also, I know you said downloadable, but if you are looking for cheap, check out your local library. It surely is not going to be an easy task, but then again it could have been the 291.

Good Luck!!
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd pick up a Transcender exam and start going through that. Ignore the flash cards, just focus on the exam. After you finish the exam, you will be given explanations for each question as to why each option was or wasn't correct. You can select how many questions you get and from which exam objective. I'd just take around five at a time and go through them 3-4 times then move on to the next five. If you need more of an explanation, return to the book. I'd go through the book as fast as you can. Concentrate on the bold and italic words, chapter summaries, etc. If you book has some good hands-on exercises, do as many of those as you can. Anything like the hands-on exercises or practice tests will reinforce the material much better than simply reading it.

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. We're all pulling for you -- good luck!
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 70-271 exam is one of the easier MCP exams available so you can definitely pass it in that short amount of time. I don't think that is is right that they say you will lose your job if you do not pass. Are they serious or just giving you a hard time? If you use the study methods suggested above and use your time wisely you should be able to pass! Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    I'm not sure if their serious. They gave me ambiguous terms like. We "might" be needing someone else. And probably find another tech. So I'm not certain. The workplace (of about 25 workers) has canned 3 in the last 6 months so I am very nervous.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I hope that is just the stress talking my friend, if it isn't that is a really bad place to work and you should move on anyway.

If you take a couple days off and give an hour to each chapter, then use a testing suite like Transcender and go through each question until you get 100%. You'll probably pass the test. I would never recommend that route to anyone normally, but considering your situation.

I don't think you have enough time to be running labs.

Good luck man!
    -Daniel
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi. I'd agree with the general consensus - try and get a few hours aside to study each chapter. Your story is sickening and it sounds likes a complete stitch up to me and they are putting too much pressure on. I haven't taken this one but try and stay focused and relaxed, and just do the best you can. Be honest with yourself, thats the main thing. Good luck anyhow! icon_thumright.gif (and if it was me I'd be looking to move on asap, even if I passed, because they sound a terrible bunch to work for)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So far as the test is concerned just follow some of the advice already given. So far as your job is concerned it sounds like you are surplus to requirements and they have set you up for a fall with this test. It sounds like they have simply yanked someone expendable from customer services and handed them this. What has passing this MCP in a couple of days really got to do with your ability to hold down this 'post' as the new tech? Are you going to become a better technician in a couple of days of cramming? You have been handed this one so nobody else has to bother hitting the books for a while (assuming you pass). Maybe they should have thought about the certification requirements sooner when they applied for Microsoft Partner status! The company you are working for are dorks and somebody there should be fired.

Sounds like you are cannon fodder for their partner status cert requirements to me. If you pass the exam you still might get canned but do you seriously want to work for people that put you on the spot like this? For laughs as well probably. No doubt plan 'B' for this company if you tank the test and they have a recert deadline for partner status is a braindump so don't cry a river for these guys.

However your test goes I seriously advise you to start looking around for another job because from the sounds of things they need an MCP certificate as opposed to really needing YOU. Start looking for a brand new job where you will be treated with a little more respect and where you can kick start your career. Ideally take the MCP with you at your current employers expense.

Good luck!
    To give a little background history.

I came to the job from out of town. The job was setup as a survival job while a friend and I tried to put together another company that was on the verge of collapse. Well, second business collapsed. The day job head of IT really liked me, and I frequently helped him with basic things like installing operating systems and trouble shooting basic problems. Basically he got me moved into the department. Well, the "boss/owner" above my supervisor is where the problem comes from. I fixed several problems that he did not know how to repair. Apparently he felt...upset about my upshowing(is that a word?) him.

Well, this angry boss has gotten 2 people fired in this department that he did not like. I am very well liked by my supervisor and co-workers so firing me outright would cause a bit of an uproar, especially with only 28 people in the company. According to the rumor mill, the "boss" is supposed to be bought out soon. Basically, instead of canning me outright I've been given a trial by fire. If I pass, I stay, if I fail, my supervisor will have to convince him to keep me...or retake the test with the free retake microsoft is giving I'm hoping. I am planning to move in July so if I can just hold onto my job till then I will have money to move. In this area it is hard to find decent paying work.

I'm basically trying to get out of their asap, but if I pull off the certification, I will have turned the tables. He will have no grounds to get me fired and they promised me a raise...quite possibly the best payback would be too pass.

Either way, I would really like to get the certification so here I go.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do not base your decisions on rumours. The nasty boss may be around for ages yet. Look after yourself and work on that exit plan. Unless things change dramatically at that place it's just not a long term proposition. Good luck with your test and for as long as you remain at this company do your best for your immediate supervisor.
    Woohoo!!!!

Thanks to last minute registration, my test has been scheduled for Monday instead of tomorrow. Well, its cram time. Anyone with any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.
    Question.

Well, I was just reading another post. The guy on it said that if you get stumped just look at the i.e. toolbars etc.

I thought the test was done ENTIRELY from memory. Can you actually access control panel and menu's if you have time left over in the exam?

Thanks.
    Khaddar wrote:
    Woohoo!!!!

Thanks to last minute registration, my test has been scheduled for Monday instead of tomorrow. Well, its cram time. Anyone with any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

Quit playing around on the internet and get to it ;)
    Khaddar wrote:
    Question.

Well, I was just reading another post. The guy on it said that if you get stumped just look at the i.e. toolbars etc.

I thought the test was done ENTIRELY from memory. Can you actually access control panel and menu's if you have time left over in the exam?

Thanks.

He was probably referring to the simulation questions. You'll probably get 3-4 questions where you will actually have to perform some task in an actual windows environment. There are also drag-n-drop type questions in addition to the multiple choice questions. I highly recommend purchasing the Transcender practice test if you are not familiar with the MS exam format. The actual exam is much different than the back-of-the-book practice tests. You do not want to lose points because you are not familiar with the testing procedures.
    Khaddar wrote:
    Question.

Thanks.

Not true. You have all the info you need, take that and get to work studying. Not trolling icon_wink.gif
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Just do the test, keep calm, read the answers and you should be ok.

The chap who's giving you the problem sounds like a right b4stard!
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
    Thanks for all the outpouring of support.

Just dropping by to relax my mind a little before it explodes. Quite frankly my brain is soooooo saturated between yesterday and today. They've been kind enough to let me study at work so I've gotten about 5 hours of studying in already today. Regardless, I now have all weekend to study and I MIGHT actually pull this off. If I do that I'll be set for when I leave in July. I can't wait.

I'll check back here regularly when I need a break so all guidance is appreciated.
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm pulling for you, let us know how things work out. Good luck.
  • SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Khaddar wrote:
    Question.

Thanks.

your getting yourself way too stressed out my friend :) relax

you have to be familiar with basic toolbar information like outlook, ms word and internet explorer(things like privacy settings)
  • ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    I've heard a few stories like this recently and it really isn't pleasant. Get your head down this weekend and you'll be good for Monday.

I'm in a slightly different boat myself...I was told that I should get qualified to be considered for a promo...so got MCSA'd (as told) and now it looks unlikely that or an MCSE will help my chances. So I'm off to a decent company very soon. ;)
    ~Thiassi
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Good luck on this!!

Im sure you can pull it off just get stuck in and work your socks off!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

:D

Any particular subject you get stuck on im sure someone here will be able to assist!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Well, took the exam yesterday. I thought I was going to pass out when it started, toooo muuuucccchhhh presssurrreeee. AGH!!!!

816/1000!

I passed, oh yeah, I passed! Now I'll survive at this place till July at minimum.

Thanks for all the support.
    Well, done!

Now relax for a bit and forget everything we told you about how to study for the last one. Time to read up on the forums and find the best tools for you to succeed on your next.

Great Job!
    Congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif

I'm glad you didn't let those bastards get the best of you.
    cacharo wrote:
    Now relax for a bit and forget everything we told you about how to study for the last one. Time to read up on the forums and find the best tools for you to succeed on your next.

+1

Now's the time to go back and actually learn the material.

Good luck with your future studies.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You took the challenge and won, something to be proud of. You'll be getting a raise AND you've got another cert for your resume. Well done. :)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Great job dude, way to not buckle under pressure!
    Dustin Leefers
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Khaddar wrote:
    Well, took the exam yesterday. I thought I was going to pass out when it started, toooo muuuucccchhhh presssurrreeee. AGH!!!!

816/1000!

I passed, oh yeah, I passed! Now I'll survive at this place till July at minimum.

Thanks for all the support.

Congrats on the pass! Now when are you planning on taking 70-272 to finish your MCDST? icon_lol.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    Congrats! :)
    ~Thiassi
    Thanks for all the congratulations as well.

The one boss who was wanting rid of me left early after he got the news. Oh yeah, take that!! So even if they can me I got the MCP on their buck so I shouldn't have any trouble getting work. Hopefully I'll hear about the raise by friday.

I'll probably be taking the 70-272 in about a month so I can relax some.

Thanks all!!!
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    A month? You did so good with this one in less than a week why not get them to schedule it for you this friday?

:D

Congrats!