Passed, woohoo!!

aaronjaaronj Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed with a score of 650, not as good as what I thought I would get but at least it was a passing grade. I was very surprised by the lack of OSI model, Apple/Netware protocols, Cable types, Connectors, and Port questions which I studied the most on this past week.

I had at least 4 ICMP questions which I found surprising and several wireless 802.11 questions.

So now that I have gotten the A+ and Network+ out of the way I'm leaning towards going for my MCSA since the elective is out of the way. Is the 2003 MCSA still the one go shoot for, I heard there is a 2008 that is out now or will be out soon.

Also thanks to this website and the community for some very helpful information!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on the pass!

I would start with Configuring Vista, 70-620 since that can be applied to either the MCSA/MCSE or the Server 2008 Server/Enterprise Administrator tracks. That'll give you some time to make up your mind ;)

Remember that while the N+/A+ combo will count as an elective for the MCSA, it does not for the MCSE.
  • dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They said 2003 will be still around for a few more years and a lot of companies are still using Server 2003. I say it's still a good idea to get it.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

There are still applications that have to be loaded on Windows Server 2000 -- so I wouldn't worry about a 2003 Certification becoming useless any time soon. :D

Plus if you get the 2003 and then upgrade, at a quick glance you'll look like you've been around IT longer than someone who just gets the "new one."

Or you could do the CCNA while you wait for things to settle down and shake out in the Microsoft Certification world :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass. I agree with dynamik, go for the Vista exam for now, and then figure out if you want to go for MCSA and then MCSE, or if you want to do MCITP: Enterprise Administrator once Server 2008 launches.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I recently got the A+/N+ combo as well and decided to go for the MCDST. I thought it would be a good introduction the the MS tests and a cheap way to slap MCP on the ole resume. I test for it tomorrow. Assuming I get it, I was thinking I would can take the 621 test I think it is and get MCTS:Vista and MCITP:EST for the price of one exam.