configuring multiple logical printers for a single printer

keltakkeltak Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have had problems configuring multiple logical printers for a single printer, which ended up trashing my printer installation altogether.

I had to reboot and reinstall.

I am not 100% sure that this is possible on my setup.

I have 1 printer connected by usb.
I have enabled sharing.
I changed the priority from the default and clicked Ok
then i tried to add a printer using the same physical printer.
I eneded up with 2 sets of printers in the printers and faxes window but neither one worked and i could not access properties to change the priority so that one was high and the other low.

Anyone familiar with this process who can help me?

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as you are using the same printer port for each "logical" printer you create it should print to the same device.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • keltakkeltak Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    As long as you are using the same printer port for each "logical" printer you create it should print to the same device.

yes I selected the USB002 virtual printer port as per the default printer installation.
    thats another issue, how can you have both logical printers set as default?
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can't have both printers set as default, you can only have one. I am not sure why you would want both set as default, if you want to switch just go into printer and faxes and change it. The only reason I can see that you would want to setup multiple "logical" printers for one physical printer is so you can use different drivers.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    yes sthomas is right, if your going to share the printer with other machine with different OS you will need additional drivers, but you can't set two printers as default at the same time. you might also need multiple printers to facilitate printer permissions and priorities.

if you want to read about printer management go to technotes in this site. happy printing! :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • keltakkeltak Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had another go and managed to get 2 logical printers installed ok. But only one works.
    if i try to use the other it causes the print spool service to crash.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    keltak wrote:
    I had another go and managed to get 2 logical printers installed ok. But only one works.
    if i try to use the other it causes the print spool service to crash.

are u trying to use the other printer on your local machine when it crash?

share the printer you made, connect the client by using add printer wizard, set it up as the default printer in your client.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.