Options

Security+

bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
Hey guys - needs some input and advice from the security guys.

Currently I'm working on my CCNP - and once that is finished I'm planning on going for my CCSP. At work, we have PIX, ASA, and Checkpoint. I really have not work with any of it.

Would it be worth it to look at Security+ first? I was looking at the Security+ blueprint and have a good "novice" level of understanding on most of the topics I saw.

I'll be getting a lot of hands on expireince in the next 6 months, so either way I'll be working with the equipment/technology I mentioned above.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd pick up the Syngress book: http://www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4350 You can get it for $23.98 as a PDF directly from them. I'd go through that and see if you are interested in the exam. You should also download the Security+ objectives, if you haven't yet: http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx

Ultimately, I'm not sure how much it will help you. I think going over the different types of encryptions and things like that might be a good primer for you, but you're also going to get a lot of questions like, "What is a firewall?" I'd take a look at the above resources and see if it you think the exam will be beneficial for you.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't think it'd particularly help with your CCSP studies, but it would give you a base understanding of some of the general security concepts.

Personally, I really enjoyed studying for the Security+ but I suppose it depends on your level of interest.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One of the CCSP exams, the SND is essentially a Cisco-Centric Security+. It's an excellent foundation for other securitycourses so definitely give it a go.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Similar Question:
    If I pass my SND test, would (or should) I be prepared to take the Security +? Or will the Sec+ have additional info not covered in the SND?

What about visa-versa?
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801