MacBook Air

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Does anyone find the MacBook Air appealing? It seems like you'd be paying a premium for a notebook that's a quarter-inch thinner and two pounds lighter than the MacBook and has no optical drive or ethernet ports. Is a one-inch five-pound notebook really too much to lug around anymore? If that's the case, I think we're in desperate need of some iGyms.

With the possible exception of a tablet, it just doesn't seem like their notebook line needed another model. I don't know why they don't create a mid-range desktop in the $1500-2000 range. Your options are basically a Mac Mini, iMac (essentially a Mac Mini bundled with a monitor), or Mac Pro. That seems to be the product I see everyone pining for.

The only Apple product I own at the moment is an older-gen Nano, but I think they're a neat company and enjoy following what they do. I just haven't been impressed by some of the things they have been doing lately. It seems like there is so much more that they can be doing with the iPhone and other technologies that these other developments strike me as being rather trivial and unnecessary.

Comments

• iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    It seems like there is so much more that they can be doing with the iPhone and other technologies that these other developments strike me as being rather trivial and unnecessary.

Of course they're trivial, but if they didn't develop new crap technology to spew out their shareholders might start selling shares instead of buying them.

I agree on the pointlessness of another thin notebook in the market.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i also agree that thin notebooks are pointless. notebooks are light to begin with. as long as its not over 10lbs, i don't think its a big burden on most people.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got your PM Dynamik.

The 'Airbook' is just the newest thing. People always go crazy over the newest thing. Cellphones, cars, TVs, anything. I'm the same way with a few things like Paintball :^). Just human nature. This one now just can be considered one of the smallest laptops ever I guess, and it's a MAC! Isn't there a Pocket-sized PC out that's even smaller?

$3k for the one with a solid-state drive... Dang. 64gbs in straight up memory is a big number. I don't think it's worth an extra grand though. But I guess if I had a couple million sitting in my bank I might opt for it. I'd actually be interested in a solid-stater in my laptop, but not until the price of a 20gb~ model comes close to $100. Even then I probably wouldn't get it and just get a 250GB+ drive and live with the slightly longer load time, and slightly higher power consumption rate, and enjoy all the ISOs I can carry around on my laptop and such.

The battery life is pretty good, but not amazing. No CD drive, lol. that's completely useless. "OMG! Look at this small laptop I have! Let me plug in my external dvd drive so we can watch a movie!" Lame.... I believe the drive doesn't even come with the airbook, you have to buy it as an additional accessory.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
    other than pocket pc's (such as my PPC6800 and other models) you can get something like Asus's Eee PC. its not as thin, but its got a lot more to it.

I was actually going to get the EEE pc . But after they jacked up the price a bit more, I decided just to get a full blown laptop.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    saw it on TV finally...looks like another thin notebook to me. Yes its REALLY thin, but it doesnt want me to go buy it.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just saw that the user can't even change the battery. They have to ship it back and pay $129 for the "free" installation. It seems that many people who value the ultra-portable form-factor and are willing to pay the premium for it are also the ones who are traveling the most and have to rely on multiple batteries for continued use. I don't get this at all.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I just saw that the user can't even change the battery. They have to ship it back and pay $129 for the "free" installation. It seems that many people who value the ultra-portable form-factor and are willing to pay the premium for it are also the ones who are traveling the most and have to rely on multiple batteries for continued use. I don't get this at all.

That is typical apple. It doesn't even suprise me that you cannot change the battery or upgrade anything on that flimzy notebook. I have supported Mac's for years and this has been the standard. I guess it is easy to upgrade a Mac though, just throw it in the trash and buy a new one.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    sthomas wrote:
    I guess it is easy to upgrade a Mac though, just throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

Make's it easier.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    I guess it is easy to upgrade a Mac though, just throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

Rofl, classic.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    I just saw that the user can't even change the battery. They have to ship it back and pay $129 for the "free" installation.
    That's exactly how you replace the battery in an iPod too.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:

That's how typical end users do it. I buy a kit and do it myself. There's really nothing to it, and it probably takes less time then driving to a Post Office. I'm sure us tech-savvy folk will be able to do the same with the MBA. It's just a pain though; I can't stand getting locked into stuff like this.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest wouldn't pay the asking price don't get me wrong it's a nice bit of kit but a little bit to expensive.

I'm more interested in a Asus Eee pc or a Everex Cloudbook as I'm a avid linux user I can get the job done for little cost.

If I had a spare grand lying around in my back pocket then sure i'd get a Airbook but not everybody can afford the latest gadgets and unfortunately i'm one of them :D
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    JDMurray wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    I just saw that the user can't even change the battery. They have to ship it back and pay $129 for the "free" installation.
    bah forget that. ipods are fairly easy to work on.

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There's still enough of a Mac fanboy left in me to say "wow, cool" at first, but then. . .

Really, there's a limited audience for this kind of thin notebook. I'd imagine some road warriors who are heavy on forms, Office applications and Internet access would find it useful. Others who are into multimedia are probably going to be disappointed at the lack of a DVD-ROM.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool looking, didn't mean it is technology friend to our user. It is definitly for people that use for web surfing. DVD/CD ROM is a must....

If you have money... go for it. I will go for Sony..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn