VMware NAT not working correctly

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I have Windows Server 2003 installed on a VMware machine on my home computer. At work I am trying to RDP and do labs and things on my lunch break. Since I installed the machine I was using bridged and updated the server and everything was fine. Last night I set it up to use NAT so I could have a private lab network and still access the internet via my host computer.

My problem - I'm at work now and I have RDP'd to my home computer, but I can't access the internet in my windows server. Pinging google brings up the could not find host www.google.com

Is this a DNS issue inside the server? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Were you able to access the internet via NAT last night? It might be a firewall issue, depending on your configuration. Can you communicate with the host machine from the VM?
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I'm not sure, I haven't tested the NAT yet, I just switched it last night.

I'm still a VMware newbie, what should I run to test the connection between the host and the vm machine?
    Some more info -
    when I ping my IP address of my computer it says destiantion host unreachable, when I ping the IP address of google, it says ping request could not find host ping.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On your VM, you must ensure that the default gateway is configured correctly. I'm assuming you configured your server with a static ip and didn't set the default gateway correctly. Try either:

1. Configure it to temporarily be DHCP and see what the default gateway IP is that you get.
    2. Go to Start > Programs > Vmware > Manage Virtual Networks > NAT Tab > Look at the Gateway IP Address and Netmask.

Ensure that your VM has that Gateway IP Address assigned to the Default Gateway IP and that the IP configuration you have is on the same network (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Etc...).

I would install DNS on your 1st server and ensure root hints are installed. You can then point DNS to itself and when your client needs to resolve internet DNS, it can look at itself and if the record isn't there, it'll attempt a lookup via Root Hints.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote:
    On your VM, you must ensure that the default gateway is configured correctly. I'm assuming you configured your server with a static ip and didn't set the default gateway correctly. Try either:

1. Configure it to temporarily be DHCP and see what the default gateway IP is that you get.
    2. Go to Start > Programs > Vmware > Manage Virtual Networks > NAT Tab > Look at the Gateway IP Address and Netmask.

Ensure that your VM has that Gateway IP Address assigned to the Default Gateway IP and that the IP configuration you have is on the same network (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Etc...).

I would install DNS on your 1st server and ensure root hints are installed. You can then point DNS to itself and when your client needs to resolve internet DNS, it can look at itself and if the record isn't there, it'll attempt a lookup via Root Hints.

I never thought I'd be so happy to see that stupid "Choose Your settings" microsoft screen. Thanks a lot, I thought it was wierd there wasn't a default gateway.