Office 2007.....grrrrrrr!

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I just upgraded to Office 2007, on an XP SP2 box this week. I like the change, although it's taking time getting used to the new layout. Overall, I do like it better than 2003. One problem I have is that when installed, it comes with some search agent. I would love to know how to disable the "search indexer". I think that's what it is called. I'm fairly certain it's an Office 2007 thing, because the problem wasn't there before. The reason is the machine I have doesn't have a lot of memory, and these search agents are almost as big of a memory hog as Norton AV. I tried going to task manager, and killing the process, but every time I start Outlook, or any other Office title, all three search processes respawn. When running these apps, everything is so damn slow.....

Anyone have an idea?......
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't have 2G of memory, do not install Office 2007. It will run slow and can freeze up your computer. You need to be very careful in today software that you download because software the build for Vista might not work well with Win XP or the other way around.

That's why VMWARE and free linux is kicking in. Look into the Open Source software.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 GB of memory? I have it installed on my other Win XP machine (1 GB) and it runs perfectly.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have found once you really start pushing office 2007, you need about 512 to a gig more memory than you did with 2003.

I love office 2007 though! It's just a couple years ahead of the time.
    -Daniel
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Kasor wrote:
    If you don't have 2G of memory, do not install Office 2007. It will run slow and can freeze up your computer. You need to be very careful in today software that you download because software the build for Vista might not work well with Win XP or the other way around.

That's why VMWARE and free linux is kicking in. Look into the Open Source software.

Are you maybe thinking of Vista?

I've run Office 2007 with 1GB also without issue. Even 512MB on a laptop and no problem. Perhaps you have something else running in the background or the OS services are interfering with your results.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    My machine has a 3ghz dual core, and 1 gb of memory. I've been trying to get an upgrade to 2gb, but I can't really justify it, as it doesn't slow me down, it would just make things faster. I have the same issue with the network. I know the network closet near me more than likely has Gb ethernet, but the guy keeps telling me it's only 10/100...I could actually use that, as my bandwith use is pretty big.

Regardless, I figured something out; I'm not sure what I did, but the services no longer appear. The desktop search thing is till there, but doesn't work right. The services that run on the machine take up at least half the memory. These are services that I can't stop, even with my limited admin rights. Like I said though, it doesn't matter anymore because the services are gone, at least for now......thx
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know england has banned the use of Vista and office 2007 on all public school PC's lol!!!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I also have 2007 installed on my 3.2 GHz celeron with 1GB Ram, no problem

Shame school are not taking up 2007, i think the interface is far quicker to navigate round than 2003, once you kow where everything is mind. My view on this is teachers will feel they will not be able to teach it without training, have seen this before, that will be why they are not using it. Just slows the whole transition down when teachers should be puching it themselves as it will no doobt be easier to teach.

It will soon be used everywhere and it will stay a long long time

Lee H
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I'm an IT manager in a school and we haven't been banned from upgrading to Vista and Office 2k7. However we are limited, as in for upgrading to Vista, 2/3's of our PC's won't be able to run it and half our educational software programs won't run on Vista (old software). We have started to install Office 2k7, however we have had to install it along side Office 2003 as teachers are having a hard time getting to grips with it (no problems with the students) icon_lol.gif

-ken