MCSE upgrade question

mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a question regarding Upgrading to 2003.

I have to do 70-216,217 and 221 to upgrade my NT4 to 2k, then I have to take 70-292 & 296 to upgrade to 2003 all before March 31st, 2008.

Now say I can't get it all done and fall short with just upgrading my Windows 2000. Since I am an NT 4 MCSE aren't I elidgeble for the NT4 to 2003 MCSE upgrade?

So in a sense I could miss the March 31st 2008 Window and then take four Windows 2003 exams and become an MCSE 2003 also?

From MS page:

How to earn your MCSE on Windows Server 2003
• Networking: The core networking skills required for Windows Server 2003 are significantly different than those required for Windows NT 4.0; therefore, MCSEs on Windows NT 4.0 must prove their skills on all four core network exams.

• Client: If the candidate has already taken either Exam 70-210 or 70-270, no further action is required.

• Design: An MCSE on Windows NT 4.0 was not required to prove design skills, so they must prove their skills by passing either a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 design exam. If the candidate has already taken a Windows 2000 design exam, no further action is required.

• Elective: Elective exams are required so that candidates prove technical breadth, interoperability skills, or additional technical depth. For an MCSE on Windows NT 4.0, the MCSE credential itself satisfies the elective requirement for Windows Server 2003 because it proves the ability to support another version of the platform; therefore, no further action is required.

Comments

• enriousenrious Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essentially you're starting from scratch, except that you can use the NT4 as the elective requirement.

Note however, that I think you'd have to take SIX exams. The core four, a client OS, and also a design exam (such as 70-297 or 70-29icon_cool.gif.

NT4 to MCSE 2k3 gives you a pass on the electives, but that's it from what I gather.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I don't know if you will have to take 5 or 6 exams, but the NT4 MCSE will definitely count as an elective. When I updated my MCSE a month ago, I took 270 and then the 4 core - 290, 291, 293 and 294. According to my MS transcript, I earned my MCSE:2003 when I passed the 294 exam. However, I didn't know that until after I took the 297 design exam. I don't know if that is just an error on my transcript or I really didn't need to take the 297 exam. Maybe my CCNA counted as the design requirement? I can't find any documentation that says a CCNA counts for anything in the MS world, though.

Why are you considering updating to the MCSE:2000? Are you just trying to collect the whole Microsoft certification set?