Server plus

emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
This question is more or less for the people who run this site.
I have been coming here for a few years. I notice you dont have anything on the server + in the comptia section. Is this because its not worth taking?? I have a new job that requires me to have or get it. They say because I cannot get my HP certs until I have a Server+ first. Something to do with ordering warranty parts. Anyway, Just curious why theres nothing about it. What I really need is practice questions. I already have the bible and the exam cram. Thanks
lungsucker.jpg

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Webmaster runs the site, but if I could hazard a guess it would be because it is a less popular exam. I am not sure why, because it is a natural progression from A+.

Although you won't find that this certification opens many doors for you (employer's that require it like yours does are rare) but the knowledge you'll gain from the material are very worthwhile.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I am not sure what you are asking, since there is a Server + forum in the CompTIA section. Do you mean there just isn't a lot of information in that forum?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe he's referring to the Tech Notes (or lack thereof). This seems like a really interesting and useful certification; it's kind of a shame that it's not more popular.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Server+ has a ton of overlap from A+ and Network+...if my company didn't pay for it, I wouldn't have taken it. Other than a few topics such as iSCSI and SNMP, I didn't find much value in getting this cert in since I already had my A+/Network+.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I sure learned more about SCSI and backup strategies from Server+ than I would have otherwise, but not much else. I think the next update of Server+ should include (more) topics on data center operations, physical and technical controls, and virtual server technology. I'd also like to see a second Server+ exam for server operating systems that cover installation, configuration, scripting, and maintenance (file, email, database, etc.). The exam would be available for Microsoft or Linux.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    I gather that emmajoyce would rather be spoon-fed the information for free.
    God forbid she should actually do the research herself.
    Show a little backbone and put on your thinking cap.

The fact that HP requires this cert for their program ought to tell you something about the popularity(i.e. suitability) of this certification.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the Server+ has its niche. It may not be a very popular certification that a lot off people go after but I think it would be nice to have for that reason plus you will learn some good information studying for it. Also, just because Server+ isn't usually asked for in job descriptions does not mean it won't help in getting a job if you have it.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I gather that emmajoyce would rather be spoon-fed the information for free.
    God forbid she should actually do the research herself.
    Show a little backbone and put on your thinking cap.

The fact that HP requires this cert for their program ought to tell you something about the popularity(i.e. suitability) of this certification.

icon_confused.gif: icon_rolleyes.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    emmajoyce wrote:
    This question is more or less for the people who run this site.
    I have been coming here for a few years. I notice you dont have anything on the server + in the comptia section. Is this because its not worth taking?? I have a new job that requires me to have or get it. They say because I cannot get my HP certs until I have a Server+ first. Something to do with ordering warranty parts. Anyway, Just curious why theres nothing about it. What I really need is practice questions. I already have the bible and the exam cram. Thanks

Just curious why you are unable to download the objectives and use your 'bible' to develop questions like many of us have on other exams?

Is the exam worth taking? Depends on your goals. For some people, yes. Sounds like it is in your interest to have this exam certification, so...I'd recommend taking it.

Sybex has a decent book. Perhaps look at their material.

As far as why there isn't more 'free' material on this subject? I'm sure if someone wanted to make the time and assemble the data they'd be able to contact 'webmaster' and let them know they have the material available.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Webmaster runs the site, but if I could hazard a guess it would be because it is a less popular exam. I am not sure why, because it is a natural progression from A+.
    I'd say the high price of the exam coupled with it being vendor neutral is a double whammy. Server testing probably should be vendor specific, since they are all so different. IMHO its just resume fodder with the exception being something like this thread starter's situation.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote:
    I'd say the high price of the exam coupled with it being vendor neutral is a double whammy. Server testing probably should be vendor specific, since they are all so different. IMHO its just resume fodder with the exception being something like this thread starter's situation.

You might want to look at the exam objectives again: http://www.comptia.jp/pdf/Sever+2004.pdf

I see it's vendor-neutral format as being a plus. The majority of that information is widely applicable.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Agree to disagree. I can understand pc troubleshooting/maintenance and networking concepts to be vendorless, but not server management.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I <3 my server+. I even took it twice! Got cocky and thought it would be really easy. Nope... studied a bit more and groovy sailin'. It's an awesome test of your knowledge of server operations on a server floor. I can see Comptia beefing up the cert soon, or adding another server+ variation. I can see them maybe doing a two test deal like A+ maybe.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA