Options

How to make a Linux download bootable

TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
Hello again.

I am taking the Linux+ class in school right now. We just started last week. I downloaded Fedora Core 7 from here: ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/iso/F-7-i386-DVD.iso

I burnt the iso image to a dvd and now it will not boot on my old computer that I just formatted.
What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Taking 70-294 very soon...again

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you said it won't boot, are you getting some error when it's trying to load off the DVD or is it just not even booting off the DVD? Did you set your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD?
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    As dynamik said first be sure that you are set to boot from CD/DVD first. If you don't want to change it permanantly you can usually press F12 or a similar function key as you are booting up to interrupt the boot sequence and choose where to boot from.

If you are set to boot from CD/DVD first and it is unable to boot from the disc then make sure that the CD was burned correctly. First check the hash for the .iso file you downloaded against the one on the website to ensure you have the correct file. Next make sure that you simply did not burn the .iso file as a data file onto the CD. When you browse to the CD using explorer you should see numerous files/folders located there and not the file F-7-i386-DVD.iso. If you see the .iso file there instead grab another DVD and try it again using software that will burn the image contained within the .iso file as opposed to burning the .iso file as a data file onto the DVD.
  • Options
    TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I did burn it as a data dvd. I just re-burnt it as an iso dvd and it booted. So thank you for the great advice.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again