Red Hat 9.0 question

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Setting up this Samba server is giving me fits. I can see the share in my Windows Workgroups, but the name is set to Localhost, and it errors out when I try to click on it, saying that name already exists on the network. Problem is, I can't find where to change the name anywhere. It's not anyplace in the Samba Server setup. I'm pretty sure it's the machine name, but I don't know how to change it and google isn't being much help.
Anyone have any clue? Thanks.

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Change of plans.

I need to set up a Linux server. I'm running Red Hat 9.0 and the clients will be Microsoft machines. The obvious choice is Samba. I want the server to be on this network, but I want it to be invisible to anyone that isn't on this subnet. Any help would be much appreciated, as I've only been exposed to Linux for about three hours now. icon_wink.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Heh heh heh - y'all talking the plunge aye Lost?

OK, first off are you using the GUI or just command line?

Hopefully the GUI. You will need Samba set up, but there are several ways to configure this. With a little experience I recommend editing the samba.conf file manually as that helps with learning the ropes. However to get yourself started you want SWAT (Samba Web Admin Tool).

http://rpmfind.net search for swat.

Also read this http://www.linuxvirgins.com/networking.html A most helpful article.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Oh - btw ... I forgot to mention that you can check what services are running - and start or stop them by using Services Configuration.

Start menu - System Settings - Server Settings - Services.
    www.supercross.com
    GUI, and I've tried editing smb.conf. No matter what I do, I can't access the shared drive. I can see it in Network Neighborhood, but I can't access it. If the name is set to "Localhost" it says the name is in use. If it's named anything else, then it says the mapping is incorrect, or something similar. It's really a pain.
    Dunno dood - I have mine renamed and don't have a problem.
    I will check the settings after I get home from work today and also check my notes to see if I did anything different. From memory it was totally straightforward.
    www.supercross.com
    I'm through messing with it. It's causing me problems here that I can't risk.

I gave the pc a name with a commonly used prefix. When I restarted the services, all other pc's on the network with that prefix weren't visible in network neighborhood. They were still online and well, just not visible. I turned off the service promptly and they reappeared.
    At one point NOTHING was visible in network neighborhood. I've even tried connecting using the convention they had on a RH 9.0 site, to no avail.

I can't have items on the network randomly disappear. Strange thing is, I've followed the Samba setup guides exactly and it's pretty straightfoward anyway. Oh well I guess.
    You sure it isn't in a MS setting?
    www.supercross.com