Michael Purcell - world's first sextuple CCIE

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
I found this info online, but I'm puzzled as to why there isn't more info on him available, considering his achievement.

A CCIE in:

Routing/Switching
ISP-Dial
SNA/IP
Security
Communications & Services
Voice

I wonder how much he makes. icon_eek.gif Does anyone have any more info on him?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Well he works for Cisco. Probably developing the CCIE tests.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The most important question is how come he has the time to study for 6 ccie's.I work for Cisco and i know afew guys with 2 or 3.One guy i work with has 1 and he is by far the best guy in the company, i ask him why he only has one, the answer is, he's far to busy and valuable to waste time studying certs.Alot of the guys with 3+ ccies are just theoritical and are simply worth more on paper than in reality.As a side example look at football, David Beckham is the most famous and most marketable footballer in the world today, in reality he's an average player.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    EdTheLad wrote:
    The most important question is how come he has the time to study for 6 ccie's.I work for Cisco and i know afew guys with 2 or 3.One guy i work with has 1 and he is by far the best guy in the company, i ask him why he only has one, the answer is, he's far to busy and valuable to waste time studying certs.Alot of the guys with 3+ ccies are just theoritical and are simply worth more on paper than in reality.As a side example look at football, David Beckham is the most famous and most marketable footballer in the world today, in reality he's an average player.

the realest quote ever
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote:
    The most important question is how come he has the time to study for 6 ccie's.I work for Cisco and i know afew guys with 2 or 3.One guy i work with has 1 and he is by far the best guy in the company, i ask him why he only has one, the answer is, he's far to busy and valuable to waste time studying certs.Alot of the guys with 3+ ccies are just theoritical and are simply worth more on paper than in reality.

Yeah but look at the age of some of them, it's not really that much study time per week when spread out over 10 years. Plus I would think working for Cisco's TAC would be like studying for CCIE on the job.

I agree som of the brightest people I have seen have few or no certifications (explains why they never went down the CCIE road.)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hehehehe..I think Micheal had too much time on his hands. A lot of people who work for cisco are afforded a good deal of time on works time to study.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    If you work for Cisco you have a huge advantage in passing the CCIE.

Cisco employees have access to gear and resources that other people don't have.

Its kind of bullshit, but why complain about it. IF you get your CCIE its worth the effort.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:

Its kind of bullshit, but why complain about it. IF you get your CCIE its worth the effort.

I know a number of people who work for Cisco and some of them have failed the lab exam more than once. If you're a sales engineer or Cisco what real advantages do you have? You really don't get as much hands on time as somone who works in the industry as a network engineer. However I think somone who works in the TAC has a huge advantage just because of the day to day problems they are faced with.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:

Besides that, you get to take 3 free lab exams per track. :)
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    EdTheLad wrote:

The David Beckham analogy is lacking because Marketing has little to do with CCIE's.

6 CCIE's seems insane, but there are always experts in every field. Somebody will always push the envelope.

To say that a lot of guys with 3 CCIE's are just theoretical and simply not worth the money on paper is a bold statement which is probably false.

Look at Scott Morris and the guys from internetworkexpert.com....those guys know the in-and outs of Cisco and networking in general.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • darkfibredarkfibre Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pah, 6 CCIE's...is that it? *gulp* icon_eek.gif

He could make it 7...if he went for a CCDE, which I'm sure he will...eventually...
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    dtlokee wrote:
    Goldmember wrote:

I know a number of people who work for Cisco and some of them have failed the lab exam more than once. If you're a sales engineer or Cisco what real advantages do you have? You really don't get as much hands on time as somone who works in the industry as a network engineer. However I think somone who works in the TAC has a huge advantage just because of the day to day problems they are faced with.

Just don't forget with TAC engineers I am fairly certain they are assigned to a specific type of technology and are most likely confined to it.

If you can work at a large coporation with money to spend and can get your hands on everything I believe it is more benefecial and makes you well rounded.
    Now working full time!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I found this info online, but I'm puzzled as to why there isn't more info on him available, considering his achievement.

A CCIE in:

Routing/Switching
    ISP-Dial
    SNA/IP
    Security
    Voice

Where did you find that info? The only information I could find on him were the following articles. The first is from 2002, stating that he's a quad-CCIE, and the other seems to be more recent, where Michael is mentioned in brief as a quintuple-CCIE. I did a search on Cisco's site, and the only mention of Michael Purcell was in the article about Tom Glennon, along with the brief, but outdated, overview on the TAC site.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    I agree som of the brightest people I have seen have few or no certifications (explains why they never went down the CCIE road.)

Yeah I have to agree with ya, I know several older folks who got grandfathered into the positions
    in the early 90's and could probably pass the ccie lab with little or no study, these guys dont
    even have their ccna, clearly experince triumphs
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Slowhand wrote:

A CCIE in:

Routing/Switching
    ISP-Dial
    SNA/IP
    Security
    Voice

Where did you find that info? The only information I could find on him were the following articles. The first is from 2002, stating that he's a quad-CCIE, and the other seems to be more recent, where Michael is mentioned in brief as a quintuple-CCIE. I did a search on Cisco's site, and the only mention of Michael Purcell was in the article about Tom Glennon, along with the brief, but outdated, overview on the TAC site.

You can scroll down this page to read the info on Purcell.

http://safari.oreilly.com/1587051397/pref02
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
    Just like some of us with only certifications, Michael Purcell is having trouble finding a job - he has no experience.

He's been advised by the temp agencies that he may have to get a job starting at the CCNA level, then work his way up. His credentials are impressive, but with no real-world experience, no one seems to want to take a chance on him. You know how it goes.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just like some of us with only certifications, Michael Purcell is having trouble finding a job - he has no experience.
    If you're making a joke, add an icon_lol.gif

If you're just trying to start an urban legend of an unemployed multiple CCIE -- then stop.

People with the knowledge and skills can usually find a job -- and move up quickly.

The Certification is just something that increases the odds of your resume being pulled from a pile -- it's not a magic ticket to job. Even someone with no experience who gets a CCIE through study and hard work (and is willing to work cheap due to lack of real world experience) may still be a tempting employee to a Cisco Business Partner who needs a CCIE to move up on the Cisco Business Partner food chain.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    A lot of people who work for Cisco or partners are afforded a decent amount of time on works time to prepare for exams and this can include equipment, books and courses. This isn't a guarantee of a pass, but it all helps!
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is impressive, but I'd have been a lot more impressed if someone had invented some new concept or technology than acquiring another certificate.

Although it really depends on what the individual is trying to achieve.

He's been advised by the temp agencies that he may have to get a job starting at the CCNA level, then work his way up. His credentials are impressive, but with no real-world experience, no one seems to want to take a chance on him. You know how it goes.
    Hopefully it's a joke. In his own words, he worked at Cisco right after grad-school. I'm still having trouble finding any information regarding that elusive sixth CCIE he took. The link you gave states that he was "en route" to becoming a sextouple CCIE,
    Safari wrote:
    Michael Purcell, CCIE No. 4110, is a consulting systems engineer in Worldwide Channels, specializing in IP telephony. En route to becoming the world's first sextuple CCIE, Michael obtained CCIEs in Routing/Switching, ISP-Dial, SNA/IP, Security, Communications & Services, and Voice. Before joining Cisco in 1997, he earned a BSEE from North Carolina State University and an MSEE from Georgia Tech.
    The most recent documented info on him shows that he has five CCIE passes under his belt, not six. The Safari page may have been referring to six written exams passed, not labs, seeing as how a lot of companies don't seem to know the difference.

I dont know Micheal. He works for cisco where employees are encouraged to get qualified. That aside, his accomplishments deserve merit. You still have to get off your ass and do it. Im sure he's in gainful employment!
  • pullin-gspullin-gs Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Six???
    That is quite an accomplishment.
    I wonder how far the guy could have gone if he focussed that level of effort into taking it to the next step?

IMO, (yea yea, everyone has one) this guy is stagnating doing the same thing over and over again. Case in point:
    The CCIE# to my right (#219icon_cool.gif and the one to my left (#2196...labbed with me...worked for Cisco at the time) only have one CCIE each
    ...and BOTH have let thier CCIE CERTS GO INACTIVE!
    I wont comment on my status.

Point being:
    CCIE for these guys and many others like them was simply a step to something bigger and better. They have been set for life since the late 90's, now holding executive positions as CIO, CTO. I dont think they have pushed code into a router/switch for over seven years now. Not bad considering we are all less than 45.

Six? Maybe Guinnes would be interested. Microsoft/AT&T/Sprint/Convergys/etc Senior-Exec job? Not on your life! Visioinaries are not born directly from the ranks of CCIE.....it is a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Cheers!

Pullin'
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Or maybe he just likes the knowledge...remember when that was worth it in itself?
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I had six CCIE's I wouldn't even do IT-related work. I'd be a motivational speaker. You have to be crazy-motivated to achieve that.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote:
    If I had six CCIE's I wouldn't even do IT-related work. I'd be a motivational speaker. You have to be crazy-motivated to achieve that.
    What would I do with six CCIE's? I'll tell you what I'd do. Two chick at the same time, man.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Paul Boz wrote:
    What would I do with six CCIE's? I'll tell you what I'd do. Two chick at the same time, man.

NSFW Language: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-uKlHuC6s
  • damsel_in_tha_netdamsel_in_tha_net Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:

A CCIE in:

Routing/Switching
    ISP-Dial
    SNA/IP
    Security
    Voice

CCIE Verification Tool

CCIE Certification Details

Name CCIE Number Track Certification Status Certification Date
    MICHAEL PURCELL 4110 Voice Re-certified 25-Feb-2004
    MICHAEL PURCELL 4110 Service Provider Re-certified 02-Dec-2002
    MICHAEL PURCELL 4110 Security Re-certified 17-Jan-2002
    MICHAEL PURCELL 4110 SNA IP Re-certified 31-Jul-2001
    MICHAEL PURCELL 4110 ISP Dial Re-certified 24-Apr-2001
    MICHAEL PURCELL 4110 Routing and Switching Re-certified 29-Sep-1998
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Must do wonders for the social life! icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Michael Purcell is my half-brother.....i know a lot about him....someone said they wish they knew more about him well i'm the one you want to ask, because i've known him all my life
    Thanks, ashmeister, for your information.

So it appears that Michael was in college before he got into networking, and he's only 35 years old now with a family. He must be like a fish in water with networking, to have accomplished so much in so little time. My hat's off to him.
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    "What would I do with six CCIE's? I'll tell you what I'd do. Two chick at the same time, man."

Awesome, although I don't know many women that would find that enough of a turn-on, but if you had the looks and money to go with it...maybe. Unless you could use your amazing brainpower to pull a jedi mind-trick or two. icon_lol.gif

If this guy has 6 CCIE's then I think that is definitely an achievement, regardless of how it does or doesn't help his career. This is someone who was able to set some very high and difficult goals for himself and then put in the work to get there not once, but 6 times. I agree...he should just be a motivational speaker, teacher, or in some other way help to share this gift of self-motivation. :)

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog