I have a Nortel Switching question

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
For you guys that have experience with Nortel, I have an Intervlan routing question.

On an Ethernet routing switch 5520 or 5510, do I have to create a static route between 2 vlan interface IP's on the same switch to get intervlan routing running? I'm thinking as long as I have the VLAN interface IP's configured and UP and UP, then the switch should automatically route between those Vlans RIGHT? I know that soudns kinda silly that you would need a route on the same platform but I could swear that I read that in a technical spec sheet and now I can;t find it.

Just wanted to get some quick insight before I started changing a bunch of configs. Dang I wish we wer ea cisco shop.

Anyways Thanks.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You shouldn't need static routes, did you enable ip routing with the "ip routing" command?

http://support.nortel.com/go/main.jsp?cscat=DOCDETAIL&id=628709&poid=14741
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well I haven't started implementing yet. Just trying to get everything straight in my head because I don't have all the time in the world to play around with this stuff...I need to have a plan. I'm about to start reviewing all the technical docs I have but just wanted to get a couple quick questions out of the way. Thanks.

I actually found this:
    Static routes
    Once routable VLANs are created though IP address assignment, static
    routes can be created. Static routes allow for the manual creation of specific
    routes to a destination IP address. Static routes can also be used to specify
    a route to all networks for which there are no explicit routes in the Forwarding
    Information Base or the routing table. This static default route is a route to
    the network address 0.0.0.0 as defined by the IEEE RFC 1812 standard.
    Because of their static nature, this type of solution is not scalable. Thus,
    in a large or growing network this type of route management may not be
    desirable. Also, static routes do not have the capacity to determine the
    failure of paths. Thus, a router can still attempt to use a path after it has
    failed.
    Nortel Ethernet Routing Switch 5500 Series
    Configuration-IP Routing Protocols
    NN47200-503 03.01 Standard
    5.1 27 August 2007
    Copyright © 2005-2007, Nortel Networks
    Non-local static routes
    The Nortel Ethernet Routing Switch 5500 Series supports the usage of
    non-local static routes. A non-local static route is almost identical to a
    static route with the exception that the next hop of the route is not directly
    connected to the network entity. Non-local static routes are useful in
    situations where there are multiple paths to a network and the number
    of static routes could be reduced by using only one route with a remote
    gateway.

So this is kinda indicating that I may have to setup static within the single platform...Well I guess I'll just have to play a little bit. Where is Mikearama, isn't he like the new Nortel dude now icon_confused.gif:
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the idea of a "non-local" static route in this case would be similar to a recursive static route in Cisco, where the next hop IP address is 1 or more router hops away, requiring a second lookup to find a path to the next hop. I don't think you need static routes to a directly connected interface just like a Cisco device.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Okay I understand. Thanks alot.