New Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) Certification

mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
Cisco Certification Pages are updated: Cisco Certified Design Expert

CCDE Book List -- Cool, at least I don't need to buy any new books icon_lol.gif

There are also questions and answers under the Cisco Certifications Online Support website.

New Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) Certification Program (Effective January 22, 200[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]

Cisco's new CCDE certification identifies networking professionals who have expert-level knowledge and skills in network design. CCDE is an expert-level Cisco certification and parallel to the Cisco CCIEÒ certification in terms of difficulty and expertise.

The CCDE certification emphasizes network design principles and theory at the Layer 3 level. It also recognizes the expertise and technical acumen of designers who can assess and translate network business requirements into technical specifications that in turn are incorporated into successful network designs.
CCDE Qualification and Practical exam availability

The CCDE Qualification Exam is available as of January 22, 2008. The CCDE Practical Exam is expected to be available in late 2008, however, early registration for qualified CCDE candidates will be available in July 2008.
:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How do you feel about this? It looks like they retired the Design CCIE (I know this is ancient news) because they didn't think it was worthwhile. Are you familiar with why that philosophy changed (or how the program has changed)?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd have to look at the specifics -- but a lot of times design is subjective. That may be why the old Design CCIE went away.

Usually you can get a bunch of people to agree if it a design is good or workable -- but what happens when someone comes up with an unexpected but workable design?

And a lot of times different people will come up with similar solutions to the same problem.... but out in the real world, when the customer sees the price tag, the "perfect design" (or the Cisco Reference Design) goes out the window.

I don't see much information about the practical exam yet. Do they give you 8 hours and a PC with MS Word to write a design document to a Lab Exam Spec? Do you design the "perfect solution" given an unlimited budget?

I figure there's plenty of time before we need to start an "Anyone persuing the CCDE in 2010?" thread icon_lol.gif

Anyone think we need to start a new CCDE Forum? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    This is awesome! I'm definitely hitting this up after I pass the R&S lab. Of course, I think I'll start with the CCDA & CCDP :)
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I watched the video on youtube where they were proposing to have the lab examination performed in front of a board of members in contrast to a lab proctor. I think it was just preliminary ideas from when the CCDE was becoming official. Anyone know if this is the case? I think that would be slightly nerve racking for the unconfident. Having 5 or 6 people looking over your shoulder for 8 hours.

But I guess you contractors have clients looking over your shoulder constantly.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Netstudent wrote:
    I watched the video on youtube where they were proposing to have the lab examination performed in front of a board of members in contrast to a lab proctor. I think it was just preliminary ideas from when the CCDE was becoming official. Anyone know if this is the case? I think that would be slightly nerve racking for the unconfident. Having 5 or 6 people looking over your shoulder for 8 hours.

But I guess you contractors have clients looking over your shoulder constantly.

I think this is the post you are referring to (for those who haven't seen it): http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29200
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□

Yeah it sounds like a hoot: "You get to ask the customer questions" this should be interesting, how many times can you hear "I don't know" before you fail?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I will agree that design is subjective, but many times that is an excuse for poor design.

You will notice that most of the best designers are well qualified and understand the practical implementation the best.

I mention this because I have worked with a few guys who designed the network "their own way" completely abandoning design best practices and methods introduced in books.

Suffice to say, the designs were lacking.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills