Options

Backlight/Inverter replacement for notebook LCD

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Has anyone attempted to replace the backlight and/or the inverter for an LCD screen? One of our notebooks only displays a very faint image, and a little research has indicated that the backlight or the inverter is the culprit. Does anyone know how difficult of a procedure this is? I'm comfortable working PCs, but I'm not really sure what's involved with this.

TIA.

Comments

• Options
    blackcloud7blackcloud7 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We have this issue with our older HP 9010's. On that model its just a matter of loosening the case around the screen and unplugging 2 wires. All in all its not to bad.
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on the LCD maker. Some use a small board (usually in the lower case, above the keyboard), and some are integrated. Not much help, unless you can find a schematic. icon_confused.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    We have this issue with our older HP 9010's. On that model its just a matter of loosening the case around the screen and unplugging 2 wires. All in all its not to bad.

That's what it looks like. I just wasn't sure if there was more too it than that. I tend to think "solder gun" with type of stuff, and well, it's been awhile... A WUXGA display is really not something I'd want to use for a refresher exercise :D

I see this is your first post. Thanks for taking the time to register and respond icon_cool.gif

Welcome to the forums!
    laneh wrote:
    Depends on the LCD maker. Some use a small board (usually in the lower case, above the keyboard), and some are integrated. Not much help, unless you can find a schematic. icon_confused.gif

I can find the parts on eBay, so it doesn't appear to be integrated. It looks like I'll be able to get this thing going again for $45, as opposed to purchasing a new display (Dell wanted $49 just for the out-of-warranty call to diagnose the problem). Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah man, tear that thing open and throw another one in!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I have replaced both - it is not easy, but not hard if you take your time. The inverter is often located near the screen -- either towards the 'top' of the keyboard of the bottom of the LCD frame.

On most machines, the inverter isn't hard-wired in, but there is a plug you snap in.
  • Options
    nlabelle wrote:
    I have replaced both - it is not easy, but not hard if you take your time. The inverter is often located near the screen -- either towards the 'top' of the keyboard of the bottom of the LCD frame.

On most machines, the inverter isn't hard-wired in, but there is a plug you snap in.

I've already torn it apart, and the inverter will be a piece of cake to replace. So, that's where I'll start. The back light will definitely be more involved, so hopefully it won't come to that. The inverter should be in either tomorrow or Thursday. I'll update this thread when it's all resolved.